Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
mx_599 said:
anyone do this ride? interested in doing it?

mx
Did this ride back in Sep 90 on my trusty Specialized Rockhopper Comp. A buddy of mine rode from Mesa too. This was way back when I was in shape. At that time, 87 hardly had a shoulder and it was very dangerous at times. Lots of climbing and downhills too. In September it was still close to 100 degrees so bring lots of liquids. We were lucky Sunflower was on our route, because we ran out of water.

I never rode with my road bike, but my 21 gears on my mountain bike served well. There are a few stretches of 5 or so miles of climbing. Not sure what the grade was, but if you drive first you'll soon figure out. The ride is very beautiful, nice scenic stops. It was one of my favorites. I'd like to do it again, but I'm far from being in shape to try.

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on a mtn bike! :eek:

how many hours do you remember? it is about 60mi. do you think 15mph ave is reasonable? 4hours? a little faster on the return?

so i can fill up at sunflower? i have been up it a number of times in a vehicle but never paid attention to ride as pertaining to a bike :D

any other insight? someone told me they thought it was pretty dangerous. do you think it is really any worse than going to barlett lake? i don't picture it to be any worse....i am thinking it will be a great ride.

mx

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Ok

mx_599 said:
on a mtn bike! :eek:

how many hours do you remember? it is about 60mi. do you think 15mph ave is reasonable? 4hours? a little faster on the return?

so i can fill up at sunflower? i have been up it a number of times in a vehicle but never paid attention to ride as pertaining to a bike :D

any other insight? someone told me they thought it was pretty dangerous. do you think it is really any worse than going to barlett lake? i don't picture it to be any worse....i am thinking it will be a great ride.

mx
My interest is piqued. How much traffic can there be?? Bartlett is fine when you go at low traffic times, I imagine this would be the same. Toomany, have you riddened out there at all?? Sounds like it would be great for a Cross bike, oh wait, Toomany do you have a cross in Fountain Hills??

b21

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
barry1021 said:
My interest is piqued. How much traffic can there be?? Bartlett is fine when you go at low traffic times, I imagine this would be the same. Toomany, have you riddened out there at all?? Sounds like it would be great for a Cross bike, oh wait, Toomany do you have a cross in Fountain Hills??

b21
you want to go? why use a cross bike? is that not a hindrance? why not your road bike? just wondering. i have no experience with a cross bike.

i figure a couple tubes, pump, typical liquids/nutritionals, maybe one person of the group should bring a tire.

fill up at sunflower (i thought there was a place called strawberry?). i'll bring a camera

let me know, i might go next thurs or friday.

mx

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
mx_599 said:
you want to go? why use a cross bike? is that not a hindrance? why not your road bike? just wondering. i have no experience with a cross bike.

i figure a couple tubes, pump, typical liquids/nutritionals, maybe one person of the group should bring a tire.

fill up at sunflower (i thought there was a place called strawberry?). i'll bring a camera

let me know, i might go next thurs or friday.

mx
Um, you want to go NOW? FIrst, I won't be there until August 8th. Now I love to ride in the summer there as much as anyone (well apparently not as much as you), but if you are talking 120 miles, you are riding 8 hours if its hilly-last I checked the temps are 105-110. I am usually done riding this time of year by 9 AM. That is not my idea of a good time. You have my total respect, but you don't have me at your wheel :D

As for the Cross, I am assuming the road is chipseal like Bartlett Lake. I rode the cross last time vs. a road bike and it was night and day on the descents, much more enjoyable....

b21

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
barry1021 said:
Um, you want to go NOW? FIrst, I won't be there until August 8th. Now I love to ride in the summer there as much as anyone (well apparently not as much as you), but if you are talking 120 miles, you are riding 8 hours if its hilly-last I checked the temps are 105-110. I am usually done riding this time of year by 9 AM. That is not my idea of a good time. You have my total respect, but you don't have me at your wheel :D

As for the Cross, I am assuming the road is chipseal like Bartlett Lake. I rode the cross last time vs. a road bike and it was night and day on the descents, much more enjoyable....

b21
no problem. if i have fun i will definitely go again when it is cooler. i did fine going to bartlett in the mid day heat so i am not too worried about that.

hmmm...well, i think much of the ride to payson is pretty smooth. i didn't think going to bartlett was too bad. it is probably a little harsh on the tires.

stay in touch!

mx

·
Registered
21 Posts
The climbs are similiar to to Barlett Lake, just more of them. I think the grade might be a little steeper in some spots. There's plenty of downhills on the way too though. Strawberry is past Payson. Sunflower is about midway. Back in 1990 there was just a trailer there and we got water from a fountain. Maybe there's a convenient store now.

We started off on Ellsworth and Brown, so I'm guessing 75-80 miles. So we went through Saguara Lake too. Once we got on the Beeline Highway or 87, the highway was divided. Last I checked there was construction at the Bush Highway and 87 intersection. There might be a wider shoulder now, but back then all you had was about a foot. You were basically riding on the white line. On the way, there's sections with a very big shoulder and it's smooth too. We rode on a Saturday so traffic can be busy at times. I would consider it dangerous because of the speed and because there's barely a shoulder in a lot of the sections. Also because of the semi-trucks--they cause a lot of turbulance.

We were out for a long time probably 6-8 hours and we were crawling for the most parts. It was more of "lets just do it" and survive kind of thing. If we weren't able to spin on our mountain gears, it would have been a very rough day. If you can ride 15 mph you're doing well.

Keep us posted. Hopefully this thread will get me movited and I'll get my butt on my bike. I need to get prepared for the CCC and the Tour de Tucson.

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ thanks for the info!

well i plan on doing it on thurs or fri next week. the question more likely is will i still do it solo or not if no one can go.

barring any unforeseeable event (ie getting sick), i am leaning towards solo. i am too the point in my life where i tire very quickly of waiting for others.

i have no idea if i can do any type of 15mph average. i know the hills will be very slow going. i was just hoping there would be enough flats and down hills to bring the average back up to the 15 area. i guess at worst i would think 10 mph would be possible so i would think i could get there in roughly 6 hours or less.

did it take you 6-8 hrs for the round trip or one way?

if i end up going i will definitely update here.

take care

mx

·
Registered
344 Posts
please inform me as may be interested in doing this ride. I just move here and live in E. Mesa. baseline and ellsworth just south of the Usery Pass. I do the Usery pass ride often since its up the hill and it's the only ride I know around here.

give more details. when are you leaving what level of riding is this? etc...

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tete de la tour said:
please inform me as may be interested in doing this ride. I just move here and live in E. Mesa. baseline and ellsworth just south of the Usery Pass. I do the Usery pass ride often since its up the hill and it's the only ride I know around here.

give more details. when are you leaving what level of riding is this? etc...
pm me your email. looks like i was talked into a different route this friday. i still plan on doing payson very soon...maybe in another week or two and most likely on a sat morning i guess. i wonder if sat is much worse for traffic to payson than during the week. i can't really do during the week, i just happened to have this week off.

pm me your email if you might be interested in joining us on fri or for the payson ride coming up

mx

G

·
mx_599 said:
pm me your email. looks like i was talked into a different route this friday. i still plan on doing payson very soon...maybe in another week or two and most likely on a sat morning i guess. i wonder if sat is much worse for traffic to payson than during the week. i can't really do during the week, i just happened to have this week off.

pm me your email if you might be interested in joining us on fri or for the payson ride coming up

mx
You need to register on Bikley.com or Mapmyride.com so that you can plot some of these rides for us to see routes and route profiles, etc.

Are you by any chance using MotionBased?

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toomanybikes said:
You need to register on Bikley.com or Mapmyride.com so that you can plot some of these rides for us to see routes and route profiles, etc.

Are you by any chance using MotionBased?
i sure will. i have a 305 garmin and could definitely put the payson ride up on motionbase.

looks like i was talked into not going this week though. :(

i will go very soon. i know i just said i would go solo above, but i didn't really want to :D

i'll give it another chance. one of the guys who was interested couldn't go this time and we have never ridden together so i figured it might be nice if we meet first and ride something easier to see if we would be a good match for going there. i'd hate to hold someone up if i was that much slower. we'll see how i compare this friday. supposed to be some fast people....hope i don't get dropped really bad.

i will certainly update this thread as i go. i am very much itching to do payson so it will happen very soon. i have only been trying to find someone for a week or two now. i will give it a few more weeks i figure. if i still cannot get anyone i will probably go solo.

stay tuned

mx

·
Registered
108 Posts
Riding to payson would be a great ride if your in shape(I'm not), if you do this, I wouldn't mind helping you guys and be like a sag vehicle or something.
I think the hardest part or shall i say the narrowest part would be just as you pass bush hwy for about 10 or 15 miles, the lanes aren't very wide. good luck

·
Lost in the Black Hills
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
scottmilk9 said:
Riding to payson would be a great ride if your in shape(I'm not), if you do this, I wouldn't mind helping you guys and be like a sag vehicle or something.
I think the hardest part or shall i say the narrowest part would be just as you pass bush hwy for about 10 or 15 miles, the lanes aren't very wide. good luck
thanks! why don't you PM me. i talked to some guys today that said it wasn't "that bad". but they were like CAT 1-2. i am maybe 4-5. i am confident i could do it, but a sag would be cool!

mx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.