Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on starting my commute again.. I remember 3+ years ago when we had the hurricane and 4 mile run under the bridges was no passible due to severe amounts of debri and garbage.

Is it bad from the rains here?

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
bas said:
I plan on starting my commute again.. I remember 3+ years ago when we had the hurricane and 4 mile run under the bridges was no passible due to severe amounts of debri and garbage.

Is it bad from the rains here?

thanks

Just be careful. I slipped on some mud on Friday and I think that most roads and trails in the Mid-Atlantic are in pretty bad shape right now. However, I think that most of the problems are from mudslides and standing water rather than downed trees. At least that is the case here in Baltimore.

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
MarkS said:
Just be careful. I slipped on some mud on Friday and I think that most roads and trails in the Mid-Atlantic are in pretty bad shape right now. However, I think that most of the problems are from mudslides and standing water rather than downed trees. At least that is the case here in Baltimore.
We had a dam break just north of US 29, right outside the beltway. It shut down 29 for a few hours, and the water washed out the MUT (NW branch trail) downstream where I had to ride this morning. There are entire 10 x 10 sections of asphalt that have been picked up and moved. Other sections have completely disappeared, including the sublayers. Trees lodged under bridges, washed out railings, sand and silt deposits where the trail is still there. All in all probably a few hundred thousand in damage in a 3 mile section. That number could be higher if the bridge supports have been damaged, too.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I am assuming you are asking about the GW Parkway bridges.

A little silt and mud but very rideable is the report I got from Commuter Guy who rides it every day.

However with this weather conditions are subject to sudden change.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MB1 said:
A little silt and mud but very rideable is the report I got from Commuter Guy who rides it every day.

However with this weather conditions are subject to sudden change.
Yeah - underneath. It connects to mt vernon trail.

When we had that major hurricane and the potomac flooded it - it was impassible.

I couldn't do it on my mountain bike without going 5 feet and having to stop due to a log or something in the way. Just wondering if it is passable.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I am a bit worried about the C&O, I wonder how long it takes to repair damage from flooding. I am really looking forward to my camping trip.
I hope every one has safe commutes this week.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Four mile run is wet but fine. Mt. Vernon Trail is fine north of that. Capital Crescent has a tree down near Georgetown. You can walk around the tree if you don't mind getting your shoes muddy. I haven't ridden the toe path.

Beach Drive is still closed in MD but most of it is fine for bikes. The part near Ken-Gar park was at the beginning of repaving when the rains came.

You will get dirty if you don't have fenders (maybe even if you do).

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nate said:
Four mile run is wet but fine. Mt. Vernon Trail is fine north of that. Capital Crescent has a tree down near Georgetown. You can walk around the tree if you don't mind getting your shoes muddy. I haven't ridden the toe path.

Beach Drive is still closed in MD but most of it is fine for bikes. The part near Ken-Gar park was at the beginning of repaving when the rains came.

You will get dirty if you don't have fenders (maybe even if you do).

I went west today on W&OD and cut back on Custis to get to Rosslyn.

There was a tree in the path at the train/soccer field/tennis courts on WO&D. Just road in the grass to the other path for 4 mile run. I looked down from W&OD and saw four mile run still had water overflowing the path were it crosses the stream. W&OD had some muddy sections under the bridges.

I'll go home mt vernon to 4 mile run tonight.

thanks (using shoe covers and pack cover)

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nate said:
No shoe covers for me, but I'm glad I remembered to wear my MTB shoes.

4 mile run just had some very fine dirt powder on trail near Mt Vernon under the bridges.

The rain was more than Hurricane Isabel in 2003.

http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=25&sid=835531&sidelines=1

But I think with Isabel being spread out over the entire region - flooded the potomac more causing more debri to flood under the bridges with tons of debri. Even the potomac over flowed near national 5 ft past the path with debri.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.