Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very odd mechanical this weekend and wondered if this had ever happened to anyone else. I'm riding this Saturday with our local club and hanging towards the middle of the pack b/c I also happen to be ridding with my 5 1/2 month pregant wife. She's doing great but were not exactly setting a blistering speed, around 16-17 mph average. Geographically, the ride was pretty flat with some moderate rollers and no big climbs to speak of. So my wife, a buddy, and I are riding very casually when all of the sudden I hear a pop and look to see that my rear brake is now touching the rim. I'm thinking it's the rear brake's spring snaping but all looks normal. I adjust the brake only to have the same problem about 1/4 mile up the road. I decide to loosen the brake all together and fix it after the ride. Well about 1 mile later I start to get a crunching noise, I think oh crap my rear hub is toast. When I get off to inspect the problem, the rear tire is now scrubing the seat stay just below the brake bridge. At first I think its probably a broken hub axle but once the sag vehilce got to me both the LBS mechanic and I agree the rear wheel is fine. I From what I can tell the Ti frame has somehow popped??? out of alignment. When any rear wheel is fully inserted in the dropouts is srcubs the inner left seat stay. Remember this is not from racing, not from a crash, just from a normal slow paced group ride. Unfortunetly, Saturday was literally my last day in my home town as I'm in transit to the metro DC area. I know there are a few dealers in the Alexandria area so I'll get their opinion once I get there. Anyone ever have their frame come out of alignment like that? Any thoughts?

JR

·
Defender of Freedom...
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea when I get a chance, I'll give the frame a real close inspection. From what I could tell after the ride the frame looks 100% OK just not aligned. This one's got me stumped. I'll try the old string alignment technique once I get to my destination.

JR

·
Registered
714 Posts
you may have broken your rear axle, congrats if so, this happens to strong riders...worth a double check.

Ramjm_2000 said:
Yea when I get a chance, I'll give the frame a real close inspection. From what I could tell after the ride the frame looks 100% OK just not aligned. This one's got me stumped. I'll try the old string alignment technique once I get to my destination.

JR

·
Registered
289 Posts
A few years ago I had a Ti Litespeed Vortex that had rear triangle issues. I couldn't get the wheel to sit straight when in the dropouts, never lined up in the center of the seat tube or between the chainstays. I took it to the dealer and they sent it to the factory and it was so badly out of alignment that they had to cut the dropouts off, do some surgery and presto it was fine after that. Hopefully you can return yours for a little TLC and it'll be as good as new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.