Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a bike that has been repainted over the original paint and couldn’t figure out what it is. After removing the two layers of paint on the BB where I thought it should be. Luckily, I found the serial number was baffled by only 5 characters (JBC09). I first thought this might be a Klein based on a unique feature at the juncture of the top and steering tube. I have a Litespeed Niota that has almost the same feature (pic shows the mystery frame). I determined it is most likely an aluminum frame since it did not throw out any sparks with a grinding wheel. The bike is 18 lbs without pedals with externally routed cables and a chain hanger on the seat stay. The oversized downtube goes from nearly round (56mm) to retangular (54mm by 47mm)) at the BB. The seat tube is 31.6). Any guesses?
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tints and shades Automotive design Audio equipment

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
So OP, anytime you don’t know a frame material you take a grinding wheel to it to see what happens?

That is an interesting frame with the gussets and the tapered head tube with the cable stops in that location.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Doubt its a Klein as I have never seen a road frame of theirs with gussetts. As well, the pre-90's Quantum frames had a unique bracket on the top of the downtube for the downtube shifters that had the shift cables run internally. The cable stops on this bike are for STI shifters. Klein had housing stops on the side of the downtube, not up at the head tube. As well, never saw a Klein with a bolt on rear derailer hanger.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Received a warranty replacement Red Bull frame exactly like this in the mid 2000s so probably a generic made in Taiwan frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the eyes on this frame. I only thought it might be some odd Litespeed because my Litespeed Niota had that strange looking stiffener. I also have a Lynskey and Merlin road bikes and know their welding is super nice. The Lynskey has the cable stop on the head tube too👍 But other bikes do too. I’ve added some pics of the Niota to illustrate how similar it looks (top tube and down tube). Still stumped
Hand Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Automotive design Flash photography

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Bicycle

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gussets like that were more popular 10-15 years ago. I don't think you see them much anymore as tubing and manufacturing techniques have changed. I would agree that it looks like run of the mill made overseas frame.

JBC Pro frame

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s the frame (JBC), all the features are there down to the color. The serial number makes sense too (JBC09). This group has done outstanding sleuthing 👍👍👍. Thanks a billion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts