Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen three broken frames lately and they are as follows: Felt F-65 (alloy with carbon stays). An alloy chain broke after use by a college racing team member. No known collision. A Specialized carbon frame with a broken seat stay following an encounter with an auto and subsequent fall. Finally, a Raleigh carbon frame which also broke a seat stay after an encounter with a pothole but no fall. The Specialized was repaired by a frame builder but has not been built back up again, and the owner repaired the Raleigh with WalMart epoxy and continues riding the bike all the time.

What broken frames have you encountered lately, and what were they made of.

I've got three steel framed bikes and two alloy. None of them are broken and repaired.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Understanding statistics

george kraushaar said:
I have seen three broken frames lately and they are as follows: Felt F-65 (alloy with carbon stays). An alloy chain broke after use by a college racing team member. No known collision. A Specialized carbon frame with a broken seat stay following an encounter with an auto and subsequent fall. Finally, a Raleigh carbon frame which also broke a seat stay after an encounter with a pothole but no fall. The Specialized was repaired by a frame builder but has not been built back up again, and the owner repaired the Raleigh with WalMart epoxy and continues riding the bike all the time.

What broken frames have you encountered lately, and what were they made of.

I've got three steel framed bikes and two alloy. None of them are broken and repaired.
And your experiences are a representative sample how? You see more broken high end CF and Al frames because 1) there are more in use and 2) they tend to have thinner tubes. It's much more about the design and construction than about material choice.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Let's see if I can recall all the frames I've broken:

Broken drive-side rear dropout.

Cracked top tube.

Cracked seat tube.

Cracked downtube, seatstay, and seat tube; all on the same frame.

Cracked steerer tube.

They were all steel frames. They were all tube failures vs. crashes and the like.

All over the course of about 20 years.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
george kraushaar said:
Well, we know that steel, al, and cf break. Dies ti break as well, since it does have the rep as "indestructable"?
Sure it does, particularly in two conditions:

1) The hyper-lightweight bike ridden by a clyde in conditions better suited for a downhill rig, and

2) Manufactured-defect items, especially welds done without sufficient shielding gas.

That is, though the details vary, the same ways as any other material.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Steel...

Broke the weld at the head tube / down tube junction, and kinked the top tube.

Of course, I was jumping a ramp made out of scrap plywood and cinder blocks at the time. :D

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Everything breaks (google Sibex to see some nice broken Ti stuff- lol).

BTW- how many derivative materials wars threads do we need?
:rolleyes:

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
Coolhand said:
Everything breaks (google Sibex to see some nice broken Ti stuff- lol).

BTW- how many derivative materials wars threads do we need?
:rolleyes:
They will go on forever! Embrace it now or you'll go mad!

This one time, I hit a frame with a baseball bat --- it broke.

·
Administrator
13,006 Posts
Once a steel frame was hit by a feather and exploded! true story!

Aluminum is superdupernum!

:D

·
Registered
994 Posts
As some of the others have said, there are many factors that go into frame breakage aside from material (rider weight, frame age, road conditions, rider strength, etc...)

At 135 pounds, I have never broken anything over the past 15 years and I have ridden from Trek 5000 OCLV, Cinelli Proxima alu crit bike to a Bianchi steel Veloce.

·
cycling as lifestyle
472 Posts
I flew off the road at 40 mph and almost broke few of my bones...the bike stayed whole, somehow, without a scratch... :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've ridden for over 30 years and have never broken any bikes. I noticed a gouge in the carbon fork on my old steel Bianchi Veloce and replaced it (the fork) immediately. Maybe I'm too careful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts