Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever built their own frame for a road bike?

I was looking at http://www.bmeres.com/carbonframe1.htm and thought I might give it a shot but try to adapt it to a road bike.

Keep in mind this would not be for racing or anything super serious - just to say I did it and ride to/from the corner store, etc.

I know there is a whole frame building forum on mtbr.com, so I was going to ask there also (since my true passion in mtb).

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've built many. The first full frame I ever built was about six years ago. For several months prior to that I would simply braze up a lug and cut it open to inspect.

If you are just looking to build a frame for yourself I would suggest a simple lugged singlespeed/fixie. Something with horizontal drop-outs as they give you a bit more wiggle room.

All of this assumes you are proficient with an oxy/acet torch. If not, buy a whole bunch of 4130 tubing and practice lugs and get to the point that you are comfortable with capillary action.

From there it is a matter of a straight edge, the minimum of tools (files, hacksaw, paper and pencil, etc), and a whole bunch of time.

Remember, you are doing it to have fun and see if you can. If you are doing it simply so that you can have a frame I can assure you it ain't worth it. Don't worry about getting to the finish line, focus on the journey to get there.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
considering it

I've done everything but build the frame itself, and I'm considering that. I've looked and looked, and I can't seem to find a true custom builder, one that will build *exactly* what I want. There always seems to be some hangup they have, using only this or that tubing, no internal cables, etc., or else they have a ridiculous wait time. I figure to get what I want, I'll just have to learn and build it myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krisdrum said:
Home spun carbon frame? Not sure how good I'd feel about that.
yeah me either, but I am the kind of guy that is willing to try it even with the risk of the frame breaking in two. Granted I am not a super road rider - more of someone that just rides 10 - 20 miles when the mtb trails are closed.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
BentChainring built a rig/jig/whateverthef**kitscalled for building frames. He posted a picture of it in The Lounge. Dunno if he has built any frames yet, but he does aerospace fabrication for a living… I would imagine he could build a righteous frame.:thumbsup:

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
Asmodeus2112 said:
Over on MTBR there is a frame building forum...
Also: https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?229-Framebuilders

I made it my New Year's resolution to build my own frame. At this point, I know next to nothing, but I'm quickly learning what it will take to do it. I'll probably spend the spring brazing tubing to practice lugs, as well as making solid tubing-to-tubing brazes.

I figure I'll go with a lugged BB, but I want to braze the rest of the frame w/o lugs because it looks better (in my opinion). I'll use my current frame for geo specs, since it fits me well, but I'm wondering what to do about a jig. So far, extruded aluminum seems the simplest method, and we use it at work, so I'm familiar with it.

From the onset, I'm doing internal rear brake cable routing (SS, so no shifter cables needed), and an integrated seatpost, just because I see no point in making my life easy. If I get a couple thousand miles on it without it snapping and killing me, then I'll do another. :thumbsup:

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Gotta start from somewhere. The first bike wasn't built on a history proven formulae.

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
BentChainring built a rig/jig/whateverthef**kitscalled for building frames. He posted a picture of it in The Lounge. Dunno if he has built any frames yet, but he does aerospace fabrication for a living… I would imagine he could build a righteous frame.:thumbsup:
The dude knows his stuff :thumbsup:
Over the summer I remember talking with him about building a bamboo bike. He had the geometry and all the specs figured out. I wonder if he has built any frames yet --- bamboo or metal.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
Thanks for mentioning that. Looks like he used the same extruded aluminum that I plan on using.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=194846

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
I'm taking Tim Sanner's one week basic framebuilding class (lugged steel) starting Monday (January 4). It'll be my first experience brazing, and I'll finish next week with a lugged steel frame I'll have built. I'm looking forward to it.

One of Tim's recent students posted a blog about Tim's class HERE.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Scooper said:
I'm taking Tim Sanner's one week basic framebuilding class (lugged steel) starting Monday (January 4). It'll be my first experience brazing, and I'll finish next week with a lugged steel frame I'll have built. I'm looking forward to it.

One of Tim's recent students posted a blog about Tim's class HERE.
i'ld like to hear how that goes. I thought about taking that particular class too. but I thought too long and it became full. instead I ordered a new mtb from sycip. :p

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
moschika said:
i'ld like to hear how that goes. I thought about taking that particular class too. but I thought too long and it became full. instead I ordered a new mtb from sycip. :p
I'll write up my experience and include photos.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
I'm two days into the week-long class, and am pretty impressed with my progress so far. The first day we created full size drawings with tube lengths and angles, then started mitering the tubes. Yesterday, day 2, we finished cutting and mitering the tubes, brazed the seat stay end caps, and cleaned the insides on the lugs and BB shell in preparation for brazing today.

Here's Tim Sanner, the Palo Alto framebuilder who teaches the class:

The top tube and down tube mitered to the head tube:

Moi, grinding the seat stay end:

The seat cluster:

All the tubes cut (except seat stays) and mitered, and assembled on the drawing. Today we tack braze everything together on the Brengheli jig.

Two days down, three to go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Scooper said:
I'm two days into the week-long class, and am pretty impressed with my progress so far. The first day we created full size drawings with tube lengths and angles, then started mitering the tubes. Yesterday, day 2, we finished cutting and mitering the tubes, brazed the seat stay end caps, and cleaned the insides on the lugs and BB shell in preparation for brazing today.Two days down, three to go.

Scooper, Great stuff. Your write-up of the class deserves a thread of its own.

·
Still Here
180 Posts
I want to build a frame next year...spend this year building a jig and such..then I went to nova i believe cycles website and they have a 29er build kit for 79.99..and pateric manual just and angle iron jig that I could probally build over night...but I think I'll wait and practice this year build some stems and bars and such to make sure I can braize as well as I think I can..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts