Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to make the final decision quick. Assuming both fit, and they are close in price, which frameset would you go with (its for both racing and training)???!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I haven't ridden the 461, but have owned a 281 in the past (super comfy, all-day stage race frame) and the newest 585 (still very comfy, super light, quicker, yet much thicker and more durable tubing that in typical for the weight, one of the best frames on the market) as well as a CAAD8. I have also ridden a Six13 Team for a week. I am not sure what the 461's geometry is. If I recall, it is heavier than the CAAD8. I like the HSC4 fork better than the standard Premium fork on the C-Dale: thicker carbon and a bit stiffer.

Since the Six13 Pro is basicall a hybrid of the CAAD8 and Six13 Team (one carbon tube instead of two) it will ride very similiarly. That is to say: relatively stiff out of the saddle, quite comfortable over rough roads, neutral, predictable-just a great frame all-around. I really doubt that the Six13 Pro and the CAAD8 will be much different from each other: honestly, I could barely tell the difference in smoothness between a Six13 Team and CAAD8 when I rode both. The Six13 was smoother, but only equivalent to dropping 5 psi in the tires. You will likely get the a very smooth frame with stiffness out of the saddle, light weight, and great handling. Personally, if I was going to go with a Six13, it would be the Team. Otherwise, I would just save some money and get a CAAD8. Really, how much difference is one carbon tube going to make, considering the difference between two carbon tubes is minimal.

Really, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Since I don't have a 461, I can only generalize. I like the 585 better than the Six13 Team (mostly due to the much increased smoothness, similiar stiffness out of the saddle, and lighter weight) but it is a more expensive frame too. Have you looked at a 555? That is a killer ride as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Only have a couple hundred miles on my 461 but I love the ride. The bike is quick handling and very stable both climbing and decending. I don't think you can beat the 461 dollar to dollar.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The Look frame in this case would probably be about $200 less than the 'Dale Six13 pro. Might go with the look.
thx!
There are a bunch of 461's on ebay right now cheap. around $1000. (If you ride a 55cm, there is new 555 that has been unbought for $1200.) Looks tend to run a centimeter longer on the top tube than most other bikes. A 53 has a TT of 54.5cm. That said the Cannondale is going to be alot lighter and stiffer than the 461.

In the end, buy a bike that fits, not one that's the best deal or the coolest looking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AlexCad5 said:
There are a bunch of 461's on ebay right now cheap. around $1000. (If you ride a 55cm, there is new 555 that has been unbought for $1200.) Looks tend to run a centimeter longer on the top tube than most other bikes. A 53 has a TT of 54.5cm. That said the Cannondale is going to be alot lighter and stiffer than the 461.

In the end, buy a bike that fits, not one that's the best deal or the coolest looking.

Is that true about the weight? Is the Six13 54cm much lighter than a 53cm Look KG461??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I can find, the 'Dale Six13 pro frame and fork would be about 150 grams lighter than the Look KG461. Not enough for me to worry about. The Look seems to be listed at 1390 grams for the frame, and 388 for the fork.
The Dale is about 1290 for the frame and 330 for the fork..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, well, last minute split second decision, decided to grab a six13 pro frame/fork off ebay, black, 54cm, just has the carbon down tube. $1025 for frame and slice fork.
I called specialized to ask about the weight, and suprisingly they don't have it documented. They also said it varies from frame to frame because it is hand made.....?
I have a record 10 build kit with deda 215 shallow bars, profile Karbon cages, san marco rever saddle, thomson masterpiece post, deda newton stem, and steel speedplay zero's.
Wheels are handmade tubies with AC hubs and campy omega tubular rims & DT 15/16/25 spokes. Not sure what I'll be racing this year, likely Zipp 404's or similar.

Hopefully it'll build up sub-17 pounds...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Giant

Giant makes a great bike, as well as Derosa, Orbea and Scott. If money is an area of concern, these give great value for the money

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Stjtoday said:
Grats Satch! Hope the bike treats ya well..
I love Looks, I have a 231, but I think you made a good choice. I have also had a Caad 5. Depending on the fork rake (mine had a 45 degree) which I found twitchy in combination with the headtube angle, you might try a 43 if you experience the same thing.

Have fun.
It's a great frame.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK, well, last minute split second decision, decided to grab a six13 pro frame/fork off ebay, black, 54cm, just has the carbon down tube. $1025 for frame and slice fork....
no doubt "last minute"; that was mine for $1000 you sneaky bastid

j/k =)

oh well, congrats. i've test ridden a few bikes and the six13 is my choice (so far). there is another six13 still for sale but i am not sure about it since it has been crashed???

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yamaha_mike said:
no doubt "last minute"; that was mine for $1000 you sneaky bastid

j/k =)

oh well, congrats. i've test ridden a few bikes and the six13 is my choice (so far). there is another six13 still for sale but i am not sure about it since it has been crashed???

Haha, sorry, yeah, I kinda sniped it. I know which one you are talking about, its a full bike though, right? I much prefer the nude/aluminum finish on it though,with the two carbon tubes.
If it makes you feel any better, I just paid for my sniping ways big time........I forgot that I had placed a bid order on the look frame, and just received an email congratulating me on winning it!!!!!!! Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone need a kg461 53cm??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Haha, sorry, yeah, I kinda sniped it. I know which one you are talking about, its a full bike though, right? I much prefer the nude/aluminum finish on it though,with the two carbon tubes.
If it makes you feel any better, I just paid for my sniping ways big time........I forgot that I had placed a bid order on the look frame, and just received an email congratulating me on winning it!!!!!!! Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone need a kg461 53cm??
=) i was doing that double-bidding with a roubaix pro frame as well as the six13.

thought i had won both too, and it would have been one bike too many 'cept i was thinking of building the specialized up as a rain bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My plan was to buy either the 'Dale or the Look, and then buy a higher end frame in June and put the record parts on it, and make 'Dale a (nice) winter/rain/crit bike with some campy Centaur parts.
Oh well, at least I'll get to have a close up look at both frames now and decide which to keep and which to re-sell..
Did you win the Roubaix? Those are really nice, and have a nice tall head tube (assuming you like that, that is).

·
Registered
30 Posts
i didn't win the roubaix, either.

same ebay deal with buyers (smarter than i) bidding during the final minutes. i was thinking i might get it for $600!

since i test rode a s-works roubaix and found that it had no real faults (just no real excitement either) i figured it would probably be a "perfect" rainy day bike.

that cannondale though. wow!

i test rode the six13 and although i can't say exactly why i like it best, it is my favorite. you'll like the ride i'm sure. should be fun building up both and seeing which you like best. good luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yamaha_mike said:
i didn't win the roubaix, either.

same ebay deal with buyers (smarter than i) bidding during the final minutes. i was thinking i might get it for $600!

since i test rode a s-works roubaix and found that it had no real faults (just no real excitement either) i figured it would probably be a "perfect" rainy day bike.

that cannondale though. wow!

i test rode the six13 and although i can't say exactly why i like it best, it is my favorite. you'll like the ride i'm sure. should be fun building up both and seeing which you like best. good luck.
check out www.stealthbid.com
works very well for getting a last second bid in, for the next time you see an auction you want. Mind you, if someone else has a higher max proxy bid, obviously it won't work. 'Dales and Specialized frames come up on ebay all the time, I'm sure you'll have a very easy time finding one pretty quick!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts