Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.deanbikes.com/finishing/satin-logo.jpg
Is anyone familiar with this type of lettering process. It is not 'applied'...The letters are brushed Ti, while the frame is 'polished'... I have it. But now I find that the letters are not bold enough for me...in the sun, they get lost in the background. I want to 'highlight' them...as if I could take black stain and apply it...then wipe it off and it will stay only on the letters... But I don't want to experiment...
Anyone know anything about this process?

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
I've had several bikes (Serotta & Quiring) with the matte Ti logo. I would think that you would have to mask off the area surrounding the logo, very carefully clean the logo and apply some sort of coloring (paint/stain/chemical/magic marker) that would stay on the metal.

Have you contacted Dean to see what they say? I certainly wouldn't try it without some serious professional advice. Maybe a firm that paints bike frames might have some info that would be useful to you. Sorry I'm not much help beyond that.

I spec'd the matte logo on my bikes because to the subtlety of them, I don't care for bikes with logos and decals everywhere.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Psychler said:
https://www.deanbikes.com/finishing/satin-logo.jpg
Is anyone familiar with this type of lettering process. It is not 'applied'...The letters are brushed Ti, while the frame is 'polished'... I have it. But now I find that the letters are not bold enough for me...in the sun, they get lost in the background. I want to 'highlight' them...as if I could take black stain and apply it...then wipe it off and it will stay only on the letters... But I don't want to experiment...
Anyone know anything about this process?
Pretty sure that is bead-blasted. They put on a masking agent and then fire little glass beads at the uncovered areas that rough up the surface. They go just deep enough to create a difference in finish.

I would you could do something with a solvent-based stain, it might stay on the rougher areas and be more easily removed with thinner or mineral spirits on the surrounding smooth area. Worst case, if you didn't like it you could scrub all of it off with thinner.

You'd be doing paint on metal, I doubt you could stain the ti permanently in a way that a bit of elbow grease and the appropriate solvent wouldn't completely remove if it wasn't to your liking.

I'd say try it.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
terry b said:
Pretty sure that is bead-blasted. They put on a masking agent and then fire little glass beads at the uncovered areas that rough up the surface. They go just deep enough to create a difference in finish.

I would you could do something with a solvent-based stain, it might stay on the rougher areas and be more easily removed with thinner or mineral spirits on the surrounding smooth area. Worst case, if you didn't like it you could scrub all of it off with thinner.

You'd be doing paint on metal, I doubt you could stain the ti permanently in a way that a bit of elbow grease and the appropriate solvent wouldn't completely remove if it wasn't to your liking.

I'd say try it.
You are right on the money about the process.. I think I will try it on the seatstay decal first...Black stain (I am a woodworker, so I have tons of choices in stains)... My only concern is getting the "mistakes out".... To clean it off, on the 'field', I can use a scrub pad, but on the decal (if you want to call it a decal), I fear using any abrasive product (green pad)....
I just want the DEAN name to have a little POP!!! right now it fades into the finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.