Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trek US Postal Service issue....2006 vintage (guessing)
Purchased used so no warranty.
Rear shift cable stop broke off of the chain stay.
I think this is a difficult fix. Anybody have experience with this? It's my friends bike so I, being the good friend and very willing to spend somebody elses money, think he should buy a new frame....any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Fordy said:
I think this is a difficult fix. Anybody have experience with this? It's my friends bike so I, being the good friend and very willing to spend somebody elses money, think he should buy a new frame....any other thoughts?

Give these guys a call.

http://www.joesbicyclepainting.com/

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is it carbon fiber? If so their is Calfee or RRVelo - I had mine fixed by RRvelo but heard alot of good things about Calfee too.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Fordy said:

Use a good quality epoxy...self repair.....This isn't a case of carbon failing..The cable guide was glued on by Trek... glue it back on....If he isn't comfortable doing it himself, have someone experienced with epoxy do it.... The fix will be stronger than the frame

I

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Use a good quality epoxy...self repair.....This isn't a case of carbon failing..The cable guide was glued on by Trek... glue it back on....If he isn't comfortable doing it himself, have someone experienced with epoxy do it.... The fix will be stronger than the frame

I
Good point!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Agree with Dave, this is not a big deal. And if you don't like the glue approach, there's always the classic Campagnolo rear derailleur cable stop. Not sure if it would fit the Trek chain stay, but it can't be that difficult to fabricate or have someone fabricate something like that.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
wim said:
Agree with Dave, this is not a big deal. And if you don't like the glue approach, there's always the classic Campagnolo rear derailleur cable stop. Not sure if it would fit the Trek chain stay, but it can't be that difficult to fabricate or have someone fabricate something like that.

gotta be careful with those on carbon tubes... *crack*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts