Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forums for quite a while now and have found them to be very helpful/informative. Nonetheless, I have not posted much at all, so here is my first post/question: Can you identify this frame/maker?

Decals say "Victory" (see pics attached) but the internet has not turned up anything useful..or it could just be my incompetence.

The frame is alleged to be Columbus SLX, but there is no sticker to verify that. However, the dropouts are stamped with a Columbus dove, which at least suggests that it is a quality make.

If anyone knows anything about this frame maker/year/material etc. any information is much appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your time.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
merckxman said:
Can you tell if that's the original paint?
Thanks for replying.

I have to say I do not know for sure. The paint is in great condition with a few marks here and there, but overall the bike is pretty much new.

The drop outs have practically no wear on them either, so it does not look like anyone rode this bike, which makes me think that the paint is original.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
NOS? must be if that BB shell hasn't been faced. if it's SLX you should be able to see the characteristic rifling if you look into the tubes. also, what is the threading? that would help narrow things down a bit. any other marks anywhere? serial #?

· Registered
3,096 Posts
Regardless, it looks like a quality frame.

During the "mini-bike-boom" of the '80's, a lot of shops would source frames from smaller Italian builders and "house brand" them.

Calborn did that with the Celo Europa's, many of which actually came from Colnago.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
I seem to remember seeing Victory bicycles at a Glendale CA shop called Velo Victory. This was the 1980's. In other words, as Richard says chances are this is a house brand bike. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. A sharp looking frame, in any case.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FatTireFred said:
NOS? must be if that BB shell hasn't been faced. if it's SLX you should be able to see the characteristic rifling if you look into the tubes. also, what is the threading? that would help narrow things down a bit. any other marks anywhere? serial #?
Thanks for help. Threading is english and there does not seem to be a serial number anywhere. I have looked into the tubes and it appears to be smooth (?). To be honest, I am sort of confused what "ribs" or "riffling" is supposed to be. I have tried looking it up but cannot seem to find a picture/example.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mapei said:
I seem to remember seeing Victory bicycles at a Glendale CA shop called Velo Victory. This was the 1980's. In other words, as Richard says chances are this is a house brand bike. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. A sharp looking frame, in any case.
That makes a lot of sense. The decals were put on top of the paint (which is nice and in good condition) and come off easily with a little blow dryer help. I looked up that store but they don't have a website/email listed anywhere. Otherwise I would have fired off an email just to ask if it is one of theirs. Thanks a lot for help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.