Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

Looking to purchase a cross frame which would allow me to run it as both a ss and geared bike. Running an Eno eccentric rear hub would open my range of choices though. Obvious choices so far have been the Crosscheck and Voodoo Wazoo but I'm not sure if there are others out there with the same sort of dropouts (steel and other materials). Soma Doublecross but would need Eno eccentric hub...

In general though I'm looking for alternative suggestions within, say, a few hundred dollars range of the above choices. Bike would be used for longer road rides, occasional commuting, some singletrack and hopefully some cross races.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
The Bianchi Volpe is a $1100 option as a complete bike. There a few guys running San Jose's like Ron Stawicki. It's the single speed specific version of the same frame. Ron's plenty fast on any bike and the SJ doesn't slow him down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It looks like between an Eno eccentric rear hub and the chain-tug deraileur hanger my frame options are a lot more wide-open. I did just convert an older steel 26'er mtb frame to ss using an Eno eccentric hub and it works great. Not opposed to an aluminum frame either but I like the springiness of steel.

My plan is to swap most of the components I have on my Bianchi Imola (105 stuff) to the cross frame but may do a different crank than the 105 triple and of course will need canti's.

·
Registered
226 Posts

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
lampshade said:
Making a multi-geared bike into a single speed is easy, just find a gear you like and don't shift for the entire ride.
Gee, I never heard that one.

What is the best fully geared drivetrain for this kind of singlespeed conversion? Seems like you could go cheap since shifting performance doesn't matter much, but at the same time you'd want a high end group to minimize the weight penalty of the superfluous components.

:idea:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all.

I don't want to use a chain tensioner. I'd use and Eno eccentric hub if I end up with a geared frame.

If anyone has any other frame suggestions I'm all ears.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I'm trying to picture changing out the rear wheel while using this contraption on a bike with trackends:

Is it possible without taking apart the whole thing?

·
TheHeadlessThompsonGunner
523 Posts
pretender said:
I'm trying to picture changing out the rear wheel while using this contraption on a bike with trackends:

Is it possible without taking apart the whole thing?
No. Well, not really: you'll have to take the nut off, and make sure you've left enough cable/housing to slide it off the axle end. Phils, e.g., would solve this problem, but those bolts are threaded for, like, an inch and a half. Whatever you chose, fast wheel changes are OVER.

And another thing: buy a BIG sack of zip-ties, because you're going to be zip-tying and un-zip-tying your rear derailleur cable much more than you ever thought you'd have to...

That's a neat little contraption, but I would think very, VERY seriously about buying a NEW bike with the intention of sticking it together, right out of the box, with a band-aid. An Eno hub isn't far from such a "planned" band-aid, but it's still probably your best bet, short of either a) sucking up the weight of an EBB, which might be worth it if you've ever been interested in experimenting with your BB height; or b) shelling out for sliders on a custom frame, which would almost certainly be worth it, in my opinion (the weight penalty for sliders is not zero, but it's far less than an EBB).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At this point I'm between the Crosscheck and Voodoo Wazoo which has sliding dropouts. Not sure of any other production frames that are similar to these two within a couple hundred bucks or so in price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll speak up for the cheap and low tech solution: try a magic gear. My Poprad happens to have perfect tension on a 39:17, and the magic gear approach allows for the uncluttered look which is, let's face it, part of what makes singlespeeding so awesome. The only disadvantage is that you have to replace chains fairly often as they stretch out, but 8speed chains are not going to break the bank compared to an Eno hub.

This calculator works very well:
http://eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php

I've had bad luck with tensioners in the past, which makes me wary, but some brands are much better than others.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks.

I saw the Voodoo Nakisi on their site but I'm not finding it in anyone's inventory yet.

Another option is the Vassago Fisticuffs which has horizontal dropouts and a deraileur hanger tab, canti and disc mounts. It's about the same price as the Salsa La Cruz though which uses better steel but unfortunately doesn't have canti mounts....I'd want canti mounts to be able to do some racing if I feel inclined. Decisions decisions....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like I've resolved my indecision as I just bought a Kelly Knobby X frameset (advertised on here). If I want to do ss on it I can always get an Eno eccentric rear hub but will probably run it geared 90% of the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.