Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people using to protect their headtubes and seat tubes from cable rub? I see that Lizard Skins makes a product but I was wondering if you guys had another clever/cheap alternative to spending $8 for 6 stickers.

·
Banned
657 Posts
What came on my Trek Madone looks just like electrical tape cut in a squarish oval. My old Cannondale R800 has it too. I bet you can use electrical tape on dark frames. I would like to find something clear for my silver R3000. I'll stay tuned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the same stuff they use for invisible car masks. Instead of one of those bra things, they now use some 3M clear stuff that sticks to the hood and protects it. I can't remember what its called but search the internet for automobile protector/mask.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
rconceptsinc said:
will contact paper stick good enough? i realize thats you just need something thats thicker than tape.
It has stuck well for me. You just have to make sure your surface is very clean when you put it on. Especially the chainstay.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
rconceptsinc said:
What are people using to protect their headtubes and seat tubes from cable rub? I see that Lizard Skins makes a product but I was wondering if you guys had another clever/cheap alternative to spending $8 for 6 stickers.

I use electrical tape. But then again my frame is matte black.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I asked my LBS and they just gave me a sheet of the clear frame protectors for free. Different sized squares too. Good protection, heavy-duty and invisible! Perfect for the spots on my headtube where the cable rubs.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
I rerouted my cables so they don't rub, but...

Clear 3M shipping tape, made for sealing boxes, works well. You can get a roll for about three bucks and put on a couple of layers if you want.
The Contact paper mentioned in the other post is probably better, but I've had trouble finding it in clear lately.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.