Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CO2 and not sure I like it as I never seem to get enough pressure with the 12gram cartridges (I know... use the 16gm) and I buy the cheap CO2 cartridges from a local sports store and they aren't too consistent (I had one that was empty, good thing I used it at home!). The 16gram cartridges are only available at bike shops and are pricey, but I'm willing to go that route if others recommend it.

I've also used "small" and "micro" pumps but never liked 'em because they took forever to pump.

So I'm wondering if a frame pump (a long one that goes across the length of the top tube) is the answer. Do they pump the tire significantly faster than a micro pump? Or should I just stop being a cheapo and buy the 16gram cartridges.

Thanks for the help,
linuxted

P.S. I tried the search function for this topic, but it seems to be dead :(

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I'm working on a frame pump that will automatically take CO2 out of the air...

and use it to inflate your tire...

... bottom line... a pump is genreally renewable... especially if you're unfortunate enuff to experience multiple flats on one ride (or fubar'd your original patch job... have no spare tube and are out of patches)...

I've had good results with the Zefal hpX series (comes in multiple sizes for different sized frames... to a point)...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I carry a mini pump and 12gm CO2 cartriges

After repairing a flat, I pump up the tube to about 30 psi and then finish with the CO2 cartrige for full pressure. That's a lot easier than pumping to full pressure with the mini. The mini is also a good back up for a subsequent flat. I have several bikes with differing frame styles so the same frame pump would not fit all of them.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Get a Zefal hpX and never think of this again.

I've tried about every on-the-road inflation and puncture-repair device known to man, I think, and I'm back where I started nearly 30 years ago: The Zefal hpX frame pump and ordinary glue-on patches. I still had my original one (bought in 1978 or '79) until I ran over it with the car a few years ago, and it worked like new.
Mini-pumps are fashion accessories, not really pumps (the best I've seen took nearly 300 strokes to pump my 700x32 tires to 95 psi), and CO2 carts, in addition to being wasteful, won't do the job on my bike (I'm a Clyde, so I use big tires). People are always telling me I should start with a 16g cartridge and finish off with a pump, and I'm thinking, "So I not only have to carry two inflation devices, plus spares in case I have more than one flat, I have to pay two bucks to START inflating, then use the pump anyway?" Sure sounds appealing, but I think I'll stay with something that works every time and, if I have 10 flats on a ride, will inflate No. 10 as well as it did No. 1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts