Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over in the Beginner's Forum (since that's kinda what I am)...but figured it might more appropriately over here since you guys/gals have a better idea of what's going on. So here goes:

Keep two things in mind when reading this post: (1) I'm just trying to be a smart shopper with my road bike purchase, and (2) I'm really tall -- 6'8" to be exact.

That being said...I have my eye on a Trek road bike that the storeguy tells me comes in no bigger than a 63cm frame. And he says that'd be fine for me (reminder: my height).

I then proceeded to another store where another guy tells me I should look more along the lines of a 65/66 frame (keep in mind, his store doesn't sell Trek's...so we were talking about a Cannondale).

I then went from there and called the first guy (who's trying to sell me the Trek model) and told him I'd been advised against a 63 frame due to my height. His response was that different bike brands measure their frames differently, and that a 65/66 Cannondale is the same pretty much as a 63 Trek model.

I'm posting this b/c I have no idea. I really like the Trek model ... but obviously don't wanna be duped into buying smaller frame than I really need. Can anyone speak truth to me on this one? Here's hoping my post makes sense...

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Go to the Trek and Cannondale websites. Both have links to the geometry of the frames you are considering, so you can tell how the sizes relate to each other.

I'm 6'4" and a 60cm Cannondale is a tad too big for me. But I have long legs and a short torso. Another 6'4" might feel comfortable on a 63. So the only way that you can tell for sure is to test ride each bike.

·
Registered
277 Posts
what BPB said - check out the measurements on the respective sites. You'll be wanting the longest ST and TT you can get your hands on.

I'm 6'4 on a 60 cm 613 and it fits me perfect (36" inseam, 140mm zero stack stem)

Zinn Cycles specializes in jumbo bikes (google him) if you're thinking about dropping several $K into a sweet bike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Firstly - The Bike shop guy who said that Trek and Cannondale measure their frames differently is right - but a 63 Trek is actually more like a 61 Dale, not the other way around. i.e - Treks are measured from Middle bottom bracket to top of seat collar as opposed to top of top tube as the Dale is - so a 60 Trek is (generally) a 58 in other bikes.

Secondly - do as the other posters have suggested and check the respective websites.

·
Registered
178 Posts
ride 'em

the best way to tell if you're truely at the beginner level is to ride them both. you can look at size charts all day but if you don't know what you're looking at it won't help you.

my personal preference is cannondale. their huge tubes will give you the stiffness you need to get the most from your bike while their heavily shaped seatstays will keep you all day comfortable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.