Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
curty42082 said:
Not bad at all sir.What fork are you going to match with it ?
That is a GOOD QUESTION...have been meaning to post something to solicit some insight from others. The fork that came w/ the frame is toast--the steerer tube met an untimely death due to a frozen quill stem (it was ugly, don't ask...). Problem is, finding a replacement fork is tough...Criteria includes:

1) Quality steel (not "hi-ten")
2) 1'' steerer tube
3) Built for long-reach brakes
4) Rake that is not intended for a track bike (e.g. something 44mm or above)

Surly's Steamroller fork is the closest thing I've seen, but the rake is "trackish"...38 i think. Everything on ebay (which isn't a lot) is for short reach brakes. I think I found something today from a UK shop--Wiggle--but it costs a boatload to ship it. I will keep haunting ebay and see if something doesn't come up.

·
Registered
788 Posts
turbomatic73 said:
That is a GOOD QUESTION...have been meaning to post something to solicit some insight from others. The fork that came w/ the frame is toast--the steerer tube met an untimely death due to a frozen quill stem (it was ugly, don't ask...). Problem is, finding a replacement fork is tough...Criteria includes:

1) Quality steel (not "hi-ten")
2) 1'' steerer tube
3) Built for long-reach brakes
4) Rake that is not intended for a track bike (e.g. something 44mm or above)

Surly's Steamroller fork is the closest thing I've seen, but the rake is "trackish"...38 i think. Everything on ebay (which isn't a lot) is for short reach brakes. I think I found something today from a UK shop--Wiggle--but it costs a boatload to ship it. I will keep haunting ebay and see if something doesn't come up.
Sounds good. I agree,you are going to have trouble finding what you want but every day brings new stuff on the bay . A chrome fork would be pretty sexy .

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
If you are willing to spend, my thought is hit up one of the custom guys here and see what they can do for you. $200-$400 unless you might chance on a CL or eBay fork. The long reach has me thinking this narrows the market down a lot.

The HT looks moderately steep to me...is this a road race frame initially?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kuma601 said:
If you are willing to spend, my thought is hit up one of the custom guys here and see what they can do for you. $200-$400 unless you might chance on a CL or eBay fork. The long reach has me thinking this narrows the market down a lot.

The HT looks moderately steep to me...is this a road race frame initially?
Not sure what you'd call it...it built for long reach brakes, has eyelets for fenders, longish chainstays ,and for a 60cm frame it's got a real short top tube--57cm. So I'd say it's geared more towards touring/randoneuring. Never measured the angles, so not sure. In it's newest incarnation i'm planning on making it a "townie" of sorts...priest bars, platform pedals, thumb shifters, etc.

Today I found this:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...ded-Cr-Mo-Steel-Touring-Fork--Black-15588.htm

I will have to repaint it, but the price is decent enough...I wonder how much a good chrome job would cost...that would be killer...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Shouldn't be too hard or too expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts