Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few pics of a frame refinishing project I wrapped up this week. About 10 years ago I bought an old Proteus frame from a swap meet in Maryland. Reynolds 531 tubing, lugs with cut outs, Campy dropouts, etc. I think I had around $40 for it and built it up as a beater. I stripped it down several years ago to use the parts for other projects and it's been sitting in my garage ever since. Recently I got the itch to refinish it. Some before pics...I used a chemical stripper and wire brush to get all the old stuff off. Also there was a ding in the seat tube I bondo'ed over

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
after pics

Now the after pics...1 can (3 coats) of primer followed by 1 can (3 coats of color) chased with 1 1/2 cans (4 coats of clear). The paint I used is called "Dupli-Color," which is automotive lacquer you can get at any big auto parts chain (e.g. Pepboys). If I had to do it again, I think I'd use a different brand--this stuff was real hard to get an even coat out of--it seemed like the spray never came out evenly until you get 1/2-way through a can, no matter how much I shook it. I've read on other blogs that cheap Rustoleum or Krylon actually work better and are more durable--but the color selection is not as good. All the Rustoleum and Krylon I saw in stores were real basic colors you'd use to paint patio furniture. Anyways--here's some pics:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last pic...this is the seat tube where I bondo'ed. t came out pretty good--not perfect, but good enough. If the light hits the tube at the right angle you can see where it's been repaired, but you really have to look hard. Also, I thought about painting the lug windows/cutouts, but now that the clear's already on, I'll probably skip it. Or maybe later...my wife said she'd do it for me and she's got a steadier artist's hand than myself. I also may get some decals done for it to match the originals--depends on how much they cost.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
brewster said:
From this distance the results look real nice. I was curious, did you do any sanding, wet or dry in between coats? What are you going to do about decals?

brewster
Yeah i wet sanded inbetween coats with some 600 grit paper, just real lightly. A couple times I over did it with the clear and it would get real drippy. For those spots I'd sand it down w/ some 300 grit, then respray. Even with the sanding the final clear coats were still really "bumpy." I dunno if this was cuz I did it wrong or if the clear I was using just sucked. So after it was completely dry I wiped everything down w/ rubbing compound to even out the finish, then did a couple coats of auto glaze & wax. The rubbing compound really evened everything out nice and made it look like a paint job should--real smooth. I'm not sure if this is what people usually do--this was my first time and I have no clue what I'm doing really--but it seemed to work.

Not sure on decals...I may just leave it clean. Need to see what custom decals would cost. If I can get them cheap enough I'd like to replace the original "Proteus" lettering...maybe a different font though. Ebay has 531 tubing decals from a few vendors...not sure it's worth it though...expensive decals for a $30 paint job...doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ClassicSteel71 said:
What chemical stripper did you use?
I used this stuff called "Jasco." Home Depot or Lowes has it. It is some toxic stuff--requires some thick rubber gloves..eats through thin latex gloves in a jiffy. Use goggles and long sleeves too...this stuff should have skull & crossbones all over the canister.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Came out real nice! My buddy has a Proteus, dark metallic blue, same beautiful lug work. Here in So. Cal we have craft stores called Michael's. They have these great laquer paint pens with different style tips. They work pretty well. You shake them up like a can of paint. I've used these on frames that were shot with a spray gun and powder coated frames with no problems. If you screw up, you can use mineral spirits or carnuba wax to remove the boo-boos and start over. I would wait until your frame has cured for at least a month then try the pens on an inconspicuous area of the frame, maybe somewhere underneath where no one can see. You want to see if the mineral spirits or wax will remove the paint. Dave Hickey uses a different paint method. I'm hoping he'll chime in and share it with us again.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OK...reviving this thread. Finished building up the bike so thought I'd post some pics. I built it up to go back and forth down to the drug store for odds and ends. The drug store closed down while I was building the bike…but a convenience store opened up in its place—hooray! Parts are a mix of what I had around the garage, and what I could get for cheap: Sugino XD cranks, MKS touring pedals, Campy rear derailleur (unknown model--Athena maybe), Shimano R600 brakes (long-reach), MA40 rims, Panaracer Pasella tires (700x32), Kelly stem, Velo-Orange bars/grips/thumbies/brake levers. Currently shopping for a wire basket to put on top of the rack.

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Wow, very nicely done! As I was scrolling down and re-reading the old posts the first picture was coming up my screen and my first thought was that someone else had posted a picture of a different bike with the same color.

What did you use for a chainstay protector? It looks like a sticker of some kind.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
raymonda said:
That's the best rattle can job I've ever seen. How has it held up?
haha...The durability is suspect. It does nick pretty easily. But, I'm thinking this bike won't go through the day-to-day routine of my other bikes (traveling to rides/races, thrown on top of car racks, etc.) so hopefully it won't matter. The durability is inline with the cost though--cheap! At least I didn't pay much for it :)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What did you use for a chainstay protector? It looks like a sticker of some kind.[/QUOTE said:
Good eyes--it's a big ol' SIDI sticker I had in my parts bin. Out of place, but it fit the space just right. One day I'll replace with a proper chainstay strip, but it does the job for now. Need some Sidi flip-flops to match :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.