Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I was commuting on my 2004 Orbea when a nice man in a car right-hooked me into a new frame. The old frame is the ultra-foco EE Team steel version and was super comfortable. Although I replaced it with a great Strong, I still have the old frame sitting in the garage looking forlorn.

So, I'm thinking about sending it out to a builder and having the down and top tubes replaced and having it repainted.

Anyone think this is dumb? I imagine it won't be cheap. Is it even possible? if so, who are some good builders, preferrably local to the LA area? Does anyone even work in ultra-foco anymore?

Or should I just write it off and hang it up on the wall?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Depends on the cost, obviously you really like this frame to consider it and that you have kept it after it was replaced. If the cost seems reasonable I would. :thumbsup:

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
If I were in your position, unless the frame can be restored very faithfully (both in terms of aesthetics and ride feel) I wouldn't restore it. It will cost too much and you are replacing half of the frame already.

That said, I love the way you put it "right-hooked me into a new frame", and I love the look of the frame. It is really too bad the accident.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
it's on the expensive side to replace a tube or 2 (and easier if lugged, which that prob isn't)... whether it's 'worth it' or not is something only you can decide

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
You should have the frame assessed by a framebuilder. You might want to get more than one opinion as they may differ. Is it worth it; you'll have to decide that one. From an economic standpoint, if the repair was doable, then replacing both tubes and repainting would certainly be less expensive than a new frame.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Should be easy

The Ultra Foco tube can be used or a suitable replacement found. If I recall correctly it's TIG'd. My guess is replacing the tube will run you $150-200. Paint's going cost a bit unless you go powder coat. It'd fix it. I had a custom Deda SAT 14.5 that was in an accident. The top, head and down tubes were replaced for £150. Keep in mind that generally, what you pay in sterling will be the same in dollars for any number of reasons.

I'm guessing you can get it done for under $300 USD.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
"Although I replaced it with a great Strong,..." there is the source for an answer to your question about it being repairable and who might do it for you. Carl wouldn't undertake the repairs, of course, but I'm guessing that since you are a customer of his he would be glad to take the time to look at some photos and give you his opinion as to whether it could be successfully repaired and, likely, give you a recommendation of someone who he thought could undertake the work for you. He probably has a better feel for who can work with TIG welded steel than anyone who is going to respond here on RBR. Whether its cost effective, only you can decide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.