Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still riding a 2003/4 Bianchi Giro. Shop that fit me on the bike way back probably thought I would grow more—I didn't. Stack and reach on the frame appear to be about 573-5 and 403-5 respectively. Currently using Deda ergo bars with 86mm reach and a 110mm -10(or 12) stem with about 5mm of spacers. I've always felt a little stretched out on the bike, but the bar height didn't feel too bad.

So, in looking for a new frame, I'm looking for something a little shorter on reach, less common on the roads, and preferably more recent than '06. Aero/round tube doesn't matter too much to me; would be racing this bike against other out-of-shape amateurs.

Can you throw any suggestions my way? After not having kept up with new bike developments for a couple years, the Felt FR frame look like the stack was brought up a little compared to something like a CAAD or Bmc team machine. Also like the Aeroad, but the stack looks insanely low for the ~56 frame at 551.

(mobile)

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
It's a good idea, but I'm not a big fan of how shorter stems handle. I have a 100mm stem that I'm messing around with now. Also, I'm a little worried about a couple of the places where the carbon stays join the Al frame.
I see. Sounds like you're trying to get right to the mm. Get a custom frame then. If you're smart enough to not care about aero tubing you're probably smart enough to not care about a few ounces either. A good steel frame builder will give you the exact fit and handling you want. Ti is great too but will cost more on average.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I see. Sounds like you're trying to get right to the mm. Get a custom frame then. ...
I would have to disagree, only because the OP says he plans to race with it. Most people can't afford to wreck a custom frame, even an "affordable" one.

Sounds like you're going to move the parts from the Giro over to the replacement.

Then go the eBay route. If you want a new frame, and something relatively inexpensive, get a Gunnar or a Ritchey Road Logic.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Are you sure about the stack and reach numbers? 404mm reach seems rather long. what size frame are you on? Are you only looking for a frameset?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I would have to disagree, only because the OP says he plans to race with it. Most people can't afford to wreck a custom frame, even an "affordable" one.

Sounds like you're going to move the parts from the Giro over to the replacement.

Then go the eBay route. If you want a new frame, and something relatively inexpensive, get a Gunnar or a Ritchey Road Logic.
Not to disagree but 'most people' wouldn't buy a frame to do what a $50 stem would do so I ventured a guess that exact geometry (thus custom) was a priority over being smart financially.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
It sounds like you would benefit from a good bike shop than can fit you properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts