Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently riding a 57 cm Bianchi Imola however I suspect the frame is a bit too large. I am 5'10" with an approx 31" inseam. I have the seat moved all the way up (have done this with two seats) and I still find myself moving forward on the seat. I also have periodic numbness in my hands so I wonder if this is a symptom of being too streched out (?).

I'm thinking of trying a smaller frame perhaps in the 54-55 cm range...Salsa La Raza or similar.

Any thoughts? Anyone with a similar body type riding a steel Bianchi and what size?

Thanks.

·
Scott CR1
6 Posts
Hi,

I'm 5'10" and have a 33" inseam. I ride a 54cm effective top tube, my ideal would be a 55. Although my ride is not a Bianchi, I thought it may help. My second roadie was a 57cm (incorrectly fitted) and it always felt big and not responsive.

54-55 fit you better.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Inseams DO NOT MATTER when it comes to bicycle fit. The length of your torso and to a lesser extent your arms and the correlating stem plus top tube measurement is really what matters.
Many people seem to think that bicycles are sized exclusively by standing over a bike and lifting it into your crotch, but thats not how bicycles are fit. There are a lot of variables in the fit of a bicycle and ones inseam is a relatively insignificant factor in bicycle fitting. Most peoples inseam they provide is different than the inseam you use for bicycle fit anyways by a few inches.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
inseam

Rubber Lizard said:
Inseams DO NOT MATTER when it comes to bicycle fit. The length of your torso and to a lesser extent your arms and the correlating stem plus top tube measurement is really what matters.
Many people seem to think that bicycles are sized exclusively by standing over a bike and lifting it into your crotch, but thats not how bicycles are fit. There are a lot of variables in the fit of a bicycle and ones inseam is a relatively insignificant factor in bicycle fitting. Most peoples inseam they provide is different than the inseam you use for bicycle fit anyways by a few inches.
but compact frames allow more standover which is good when getting on/off bike
on steep hill, etc.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Inseam + height = torso size (approximately)

I agree inseam isn't a critical measurement. However, when someone lists their height and inseam one can deduce their torso assuming they have a normal-sized head. Stuff like arm length matters, too.

Rubber Lizard said:

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Maybe. Maybe not. How much have you played around with the fit? Does the bike overall feel responsive when you're riding it?

Have you tried moving the saddle back and down? That will decrease your effective seat tube angle and should put more weight on your butt.

How long is your stem? Have you tried a shorter one? How about the handlebars? There are ones with less reach and drop available.

I'm a shorty, but I have a friend that's 5'10" with probably a 33-34" inseam (chick), so a shorter torso. She rides a 56cm Felt.

Why don't your take your bike in to a shop with knowledgeable people and get their opinions?

jdg_ said:
I'm currently riding a 57 cm Bianchi Imola however I suspect the frame is a bit too large. I am 5'10" with an approx 31" inseam. I have the seat moved all the way up (have done this with two seats) and I still find myself moving forward on the seat. I also have periodic numbness in my hands so I wonder if this is a symptom of being too streched out (?).

I'm thinking of trying a smaller frame perhaps in the 54-55 cm range...Salsa La Raza or similar.

Any thoughts? Anyone with a similar body type riding a steel Bianchi and what size?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
not enough info...

Contrary to what some continually post, a properly measured cycling inseam will allow you to select the proper frame size. The problem is that many people don't take the measurement correctly or post an irrelevant pants inseam.

Cycling inseam is measured to saddle-like crotch contact in bare feet. It's often recommended to stand against a wall and place a thick book into the crotch, holding the book against the wall, then measure from the floor to the top of the book. A bike with a horizontal top tube also makes a good measuring tool. Just block up the wheels until you get saddle like crotch contact, then meaure the height of the TT. It's normal for a horizontal TT frame to have a standover height that is 2-6cm less than your inseam.

An even better dimension to post, in addition to your height, is an actual saddle height. From that, it's simple to select two frame sizes. One of those will prove to be better, based on you fitness level and use of the bike.

If you do some reading at some of the many online sources with fitting info, it is possible to get a good fit without the aid of a bike shop.

www.coloradocyclist.com/bikefit

·
Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
I am 5'10" and ride a 57cm Bianchi Pinella (boron/steel). The stem is 120mm, but my torso is a little long. My standover gap b/t the TT and my crotch is not very much at all, but as Rubber Lizard pointed out there is more than just standing over a bike to gain a proper fit.

If I had done the standover method I should have gone with a 53cm or a 55cm at best with a 30 inch inseam.

I have approx 5 inches of seat tube showing with 172.5 mm cranks. So I feel the 57cm frame is a pretty good fit.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i too am around 5'10 and have had fit issues. i have a 341/2 inseam which i think is long for my height. i ride a 57 and a 55 and the 57 is so much more comfortable for me. but the important thing for me seemed to be seat tube angle. i like to be able to stand and climb so a slacker seat tube brought the handlebars too close to my knees therefore i felt uncomfortable and restricted. so i used a long stem on the 55 with the slacker seat angle and i was over stretched in the saddle. i use a short 90mm stem on the 57cm frame that has the steeper seat angle and this has been the most comfortable set up i have ever had. i am in no way an expert in fit but i am now very content with the current horizontal top tubed 57cm. the short stem hasn't caused any concern with twitchy steering and the saddle to top of bar measurement is around 55mm. as you could probably work out i'm no racer either. hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of your input.

I ended up doing a bike fit at a local shop this past Monday with the end result of swapping the stem for a 90 mm and using a zero setback post. Much better although I have not gotten in anything over 25 miles yet this week but will this weekend. I am now able to be on the saddle properly instead of always wanting to slide forward. At the same time I got some real road shoes and Ultegra pedals which have made a world of difference.

I now feel I will hang onto this for a while. Maybe a wheel upgrade and a few other parts swaps to lighten it but I am happy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.