Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am presently using a litespeed ghisallo frame size M, with a 10cm stem along with some spacers on the steerer tube to get the correct handlebar height. I am 6'0" and according to the litespeed sizing chart, I should use a size M/L frame. Whenever I am riding, a lot of people would comment that the frame is too small for me.

I have another bike, a cannondale caad 4 which is supposed to be the correct size for me. However, whenever I would use my cannondale on long hard rides of about 100-150km, I would get lower back pains. I never experienced this when using my litespeed, in fact, I could go over 150km on my ghisallo without any lower back pain.

No brainer here, I would rather look odd to other people and feel no pain than look good and have a painful back. So I use my litespeed for 80km+ rides and use my cannondale for rides of 80km or less.

Has anybody had a similar experience?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
no..

With proper measurement, you should be able to get either bike to fit the same. If you can't, then one of them is the wrong size. First get the saddle height anf fore/aft position the same, using the same saddle, then do whatever is takes to get the same reach and drop to the brake hoods.

Once you find a comfortable saddle model, it's wise to use it on all of your bikes. It makes setup a lot easier.

Sizing charts are just rough guidelines. Anyone with riding experience should know what reach and drop they require. With that info, the proper size frame is one that avoids odball setups with lots of spacers or a short high rise stem.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Correct frame sizing is, of course, paramount to obtaining an optimum comfortable riding position. In your case, though, rather than just fit you might consider the influence of the potential difference in ride quality between the Litespeed and Cannondale. I'm reluctant to comment because of the probable firestormof responses, but in my experience the Litespeed is a far superior long distance bike (In fact I've owned, serviced, and sold a lot Cannondale and similar Klein road bikes and all, including me, complain of the aches and pains after a long ride - many would say it's best to just send such bikes to the recycler. Conversely, I've never had a complaint, including from me about mine, regarding the ride of Litespeeds).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.

hi C-40 - the saddle and pedal positions positions on my two bikes are the same. The only difference is that the Cannondale is 3cm longer than the litespeed. I have previously used a 13cm stem, instead of the current 10cm, stem on my litespeed to make the reach exactly the same as the cannondale. But when I did that, I got lower back aches on long rides. Maybe i will try to use a 11 or 12cm stem on my litespeed and see what happens.

hi refund!? - I am not very sensitive to ride quality. For me, the only noticeable difference between my cannondale and litespeed is the weight. I also got the lower back ache when I used a 13cm stem on the litespeed. So it is the fit and not the ride quality that causes it. But selling the cannondale or the litespeed is not an option, I love them both.

Cheers,

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
???

That setup makes no sense to me. I could see a "comfort" bike being setup with the bars 1cm closer or higher, but not a huge 3cm difference in reach. If two bikes are truly setup the same there won't be much difference in comfort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.