Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding a 2008 Bianchi C2C 928 with a 61cm frame, until it got smashed when a driver rear-ended my car with the bike on the trunk rack. The bike was very comfortable and fit well. I am now considering buying a 2010 Pinarello FP7, but the Pinas only manufacture up to 59.5 cm. I am buying the bike overseas and needing to know how to determine if the FP7 will fit.
I've been reading as much as possible about geometry but still not sure which measures to consider. Any suggestions?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
To the extent that specifics relating to both bikes geometry are offered, and focusing on the more important aspects, they're pretty close.

Comparing the FP7's geo, the ETT is 587mm's and the STA is 72.4*, while the 928's ETT is 590mm's and STA is 72.5*, so the result will be about a 4mm shorter reach on the FP7.

HTL's are the same at 210mm's, so all else being equal, saddle to bar drop will be very close.

The seat tube on the FP7 is 1.5cm's longer than the 928's, so depending on TT slope (along with where the measurements are taken), standover may be slightly higher, but neither provide that statistic. If possible, it's best to check out the FP7 to be sure standover is sufficient. Alternatively, ask the seller to provide that measurement and compare it to your Bianchi. Just make sure both are measured from the same location (usually about midpoint between tip of saddle and HT).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Canine. That information helps a lot. I'll contact the seller to get stand over height. I understand what you're saying about the head tube profile being different on both bikes but hopefully I can get a reasonably close idea. Thanks again.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'll contact the seller to get stand over height?????????????? stand over doesnt work because if both bikes have different sloping, different Front tube size and/or different BB shell height from the ground you might end up with a smaller frame or a bigger frame!!! Not that hard to figure it out why im saying this, right???

U have to get the length of the frame, thats all u need. Go to the sizing tables geometry for both frames and look at the VIRTUAL length of the frame, with modern bikes with sloping and with the mess in the geometries and sizing depending in the manufacturer, the only way to find and making a cross over between brands is comparing the length of the frame.

I'll make it easier for you....

The one u have is 59 in virtual length... the pinarello u want in the larger size (59.5) has a TT of 58.7... 3 mm is nothing.

There u have it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'll contact the seller to get stand over height?????????????? stand over doesnt work because if both bikes have different sloping, different Front tube size and/or different BB shell height from the ground you might end up with a smaller frame or a bigger frame!!! Not that hard to figure it out why im saying this, right???

U have to get the length of the frame, thats all u need. Go to the sizing tables geometry for both frames and look at the VIRTUAL length of the frame, with modern bikes with sloping and with the mess in the geometries and sizing depending in the manufacturer, the only way to find and making a cross over between brands is comparing the length of the frame.

The one u have is 59 in virtual length... the pinarello u want in the larger size (59.5) has a TT of 58.7... 3 mm is nothing.

There u have it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ultraman. I appreciate the input. I've thought that the comparisons between the Bianchi and the Pina was close but wanted to be sure. Thanks for your input. I'm ordering the Pina FP7 tomorrow.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
ultraman6970 said:

There u have it.

Good luck.
Your logic is flawed and you're misleading the OP.

Despite the variables you mentioned, standover on each of the bikes is what it is, no matter the BB height, slopes (and I'm assuming by 'front tube' you mean head tube?). That's all accounted for, and as long as the measurements are taken mid-point on the TT's, the OP will know if the FP7's standover is adaquate for him. That said, I strongly suggest he check with the seller to verlfy this to avoid surprises.

Regarding reach, you aren't taking STA's into consideration (along with ETT) to calculate the differences. In this case, the point is moot because the STA's vary only by .1* (changing reach by about 1mm), but in the interest of setting the record straight, your methods are inaccurate.

OP: IMO you should stick with the plan to have the seller check standover. If possible, it probably wouldn't hurt to double check your Bianchi's to serve as a baseline.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'll give you one clear example and thats why here in the states for some reason people tend to use track frames that are smaller, this is a extreme case anyways but it will make a clear point of what im talking about.

Road bikes and track bikes have different BB height from the ground, the front tube is longer due to the fact that the fork should not take a brake (talking about real track racing bike).

For example u have two frames in the same size and brand but one is a track frame and the other one is a road bike. The BB height is 30 cms from the ground in the track one and the road one is 27 cms from the ground. Im making up the numbers in here ok? lets say both frames are 56x56, but happens that the stand over size in the track one is 80 cm (again im making up the numbers) and the stand over in the road one is 78 cm. Upper BB from the ground will means that the TT will be upper also.

Lets suppose now that u have used always the stand over sizing with a 78 cms of stand over. If you follow the stand over rule and look at the tables, the tables say that the the track frame that has 78 cm stand over is the 54 cm frame, and u always used a 56x56 cm frame, you will pick the 54x54 cm frame because u are picking the stand over, that mislead you to a frame that is 2 cms smaller and 2 cm too short than what u really are used too. I'm not saying that u cant use it but 2 cms in a real road bike makes a lot of difference.

With some road bikes is the same thing, some junk has a front tube that is like 20 inches high, other ones have the BB height upper or lower, and with the sloping is ever harder to see, A clear example is some specialized junks that have a super long front tube, a super pronunciated sloping (super short seat tube) and lower BB height. If you pick the stand over in those ones besides having a darn frame that looks like [email protected], and if the guy who is selling the bike do not know what he is doing (the usual problem) u end up with a bigger frame than needed. in other cases is just the opposite.

Ill give you the clear example.

BMC and ridley frames. IF U you arent that tall as the OP (talking about average 5,10 to 6 feet tall person) and you are using that bianchi frame if you want to go to BMC and some of the high end ridleys, if you pick the stand over position you end up with a XXL or with a xl frame that is like 3 sizes more than u need because BMCs, ridleys and a lot other brands are based in the lenght of the bike not in the stand over. The TT in those bikes is lower.

To make it easier for you, the stand over is based in how high the TT is from your nuts, in the case of focus, BMC, Ridley and many others, all those bikes have lower TTs but the bikes are pretty long. That makes the stand over position rule useless. I have a BMC, if i go with the stand over position i end up with a X large frame that has a TT of 59 or so. THats way bigger than what i use that is a size 54 in BMC (55.5 to 56 in virtual length). And my stand over in the bmc is like 4 cms lower than what it's suppose to be taking in consideration what u say.

Maybe with MTB bikes work because the frames are different and maybe with some low class road bikes with high end stuff u cant go that way. The good about the OP is that he is so tall that he has to go way up there in the sizing tables, so is pretty hard for him to miss or pick the wrong size because there is nothing else. The problem comes when u are in the middle because u can go bad big time if you picked wrong.

I doubt the op will pick wrong anyways because the pina model he wants is just like the one he actually has. There is nothing else bigger, unless he had the wrong size in the bianchi from the beginning, thing i have seen before but w/o seeing him there is no way to know.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts