Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several reasons that have mentioned here in the past, I am looking to replace my Salsa Caseroll frame, which has been the biggest pc. of crap I have ever owned......

I'm after a frame that will handle 33mm tires and have mounts for fenders and a rear rack. I'd prefer an extended or lengthy headtube and standard 130mm spacing so I can use my current wheelset. Vertical dropouts are a huge plus. The Caseroll geometry is ideal...

This frame will be used as a grocery getter, farmers market trips with my wife etc... so it doesn't have to be the greatest, just durable and reliable.

Any recommendations would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Zach

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
if you have some specific requirements/geometry in mind, there may not be anything else... that's the beauty of custom, you can get whatever you want. but there are trade-offs- time, sometimes cost. you can't always have it all

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't realize that this would be a difficult thing to find. I don't have any crazy geometry requests, although I prefer a long head tube, but nothing crazy and most can be made to work with a stem flip.

I just want a frame with ample tire clearance and braze ons for a rack and fenders. The Casserole would have been perfect if it functioned properly (old posts have all the info).

Zach

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Zach, I know you had the slipping wheel issue with the rear dropouts. What other problems did you have? I've had no issues at all with mine but I'm running single speed with track nuts not quick release

Hi Dave -

Most of the issues are wheel based, including the slipping. A Surly Tugnutt solved this problem, but blocked the rack/fender mounts. After a few conversations with Surly, and carefully dremelling the Tugnutt to allow clearance for the mounts, I can only use one set of the eyelets due to clearance issues. It isn't possible to dremel enough off of the Tuggnutt to allow it to function properly and use both eyelets.

The rest of my displeasure comes from working with Salsa - I've never had a less satisfying experience to date. Granted, some of this should have been done by my LBS, but once Salsa was willing to work direct with me, they have failed to follow through on anything they have promised. I was told that they would reimburse me for their brand of skewers that I purchased hoping to alleviate the problem, and after several emails and phone calls, I have given up. They asked me to please try wheels with a Shimano 105 hub in lieu of returning the frame and they would help me with the materials, but that also never happened. Now that I have done this, and rubbed all of the paint off of the frame from the wheel sliding, I can't really feel good about selling it and have the largest paperweight in history at my house.

The combination of such a lousy experience and the inability to use a rack and fenders together has left me with no desire to own this frame. If I could find a suitable replacement, I'll put the parts on the new frame and send the Salsa back to Salsa - I don't care if they credit me or not, I'm "over it"......

ZAch

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
can you find a builder that could modify the parts you hate on the Salsa? Maybe the cheapest route, since most of your problems occur around the rear drop out. Or has the experience soiled the Salsa?

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cmg said:
can you find a builder that could modify the parts you hate on the Salsa? Maybe the cheapest route, since most of your problems occur around the rear drop out. Or has the experience soiled the Salsa?

I spoke with Stephen @ Bilenky a few days ago about doing just that, and the price is pretty reasonable to cut the dropouts off, install new, vertical dropouts and touch up the paint. Although it might be the more prudent thing to do, I would rather support a different company financially than ride this frame and be annoyed with it.

Although the double cross might work, I don't know if it is the "one".

If I could only find the appropriate frame....

Zach

·
Great White North
1,141 Posts
Surly Long Haul Trucker may fit what you need as well. Vertical dropouts, but maybe I misread and you're looking for an SS frame?

Plum

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Plum said:
Surly Long Haul Trucker may fit what you need as well. Vertical dropouts, but maybe I misread and you're looking for an SS frame?

Plum

prob depends on size... 54 and smaller take 26" wheels

·
grippy...
122 Posts
Pake C'Mute? http://www.pakebikes.com/pakemute.html
Still horizontal dropouts, but painted.

Surly Pacer? http://www.surlybikes.com/pacer.html
Only fits 700 x 32, slightly different geom, and corporate kissing cousin to Salsa.

And are those vultures circling overhead? I'm searching for a secondhand Casseroll sz 49 for an aspiring commuter friend (I have a nice bolt-on Nexus hub all lined up for those slickery dropouts)... Your profile says you're in VA, I'm in Arlington, PM me if you're interested in getting rid of it sometime soon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.