Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for century riding - not racing, but long miles at a fast pace? What are benefits of each?

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
makes no difference...

It's the combination of tube size, shape and material that combine to make a frame what it is. There is no reason to select one over the other, except in the case of a fit problem. Once in a while, a long torsoed, short legged rider can benefit from a bit more top tube length from a compact, without compromising a reasonable amount of standover clearance.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
C-40 said:
It's the combination of tube size, shape and material that combine to make a frame what it is. There is no reason to select on over the other, except in the case of a fit problem. Once in a while, a long torsoed, short legged rider can benefit from a bit more top tube length from a compact, without compromising a reasonable amount of standover clearance.

NO WAY!!!! This just can't be true!!!!! Why, what about that nefarious power drain in that unavoidably flexy seatpost? And didn't you know that compacts are implicity stronger 'cuz they're, well, compact? Why not only are their rear triangles stiffer, they're also more compliant. And every single head tube on a compact or semi compact is longer than it would be if the frame was a trad frame. Honest! That's what I read on the internet. They are also way more stable when descending and way more likely to suffer speed wobble. And even more importantly, advising someone as you did is only opening them up to the derision of the LuggedRealSteelTrad Wisemen. And for all that is holy, we don't want to run afoul of that group.:rolleyes:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
alienator said:
NO WAY!!!! This just can't be true!!!!! Why, what about that nefarious power drain in that unavoidably flexy seatpost? And didn't you know that compacts are implicity stronger 'cuz they're, well, compact? Why not only are their rear triangles stiffer, they're also more compliant. And every single head tube on a compact or semi compact is longer than it would be if the frame was a trad frame. Honest! That's what I read on the internet. They are also way more stable when descending and way more likely to suffer speed wobble. And even more importantly, advising someone as you did is only opening them up to the derision of the LuggedRealSteelTrad Wisemen. And for all that is holy, we don't want to run afoul of that group.:rolleyes:
:D LOL!:D

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Zig said:
for century riding - not racing, but long miles at a fast pace? What are benefits of each?
The question has no answer. Any broad statement that one is stiffer, more compliant, lighter, or whatever is offset by plenty of counter examples. Ask about two specific bikes, and you're closer to getting valid opinions. But the real answer is go to every shop you can, ride everything they'll let you, and your legs, butt, and heart will tell you the answer none of us can. It's the only worthwhile way to buy a bike.

As an example as I was test-riding, the harshest bike I rode was compact carbon model. The most complaint (unnervingly so, in fact) was a traditional-geometry aluminum. Those experiences run exactly counter to the common wisdom 'round these parts. Trust yourself.

Proper fitting, proper tire choice and pressure and the proper choice of bars, tape and saddle matter far more to the cycling experience than does the angle of the top tube.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
C-40 said:
It's the combination of tube size, shape and material that combine to make a frame what it is. There is no reason to select one over the other, except in the case of a fit problem. Once in a while, a long torsoed, short legged rider can benefit from a bit more top tube length from a compact, without compromising a reasonable amount of standover clearance.
this is the reason i bought my last frame, got more standover clearance, taller head tube. unfortunetly i bought a frame that was really stiff and i no longer ride it. I went to a more conventional frame without or with very little standover clearance, that has the correct top tube dimension. if i fall or crash i try to stay clear of the TT, yea...right..... i don't think compact frames have any more magic than any thing else. fit is all that matters and the top tube dimension is the most critical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts