Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a frame and build it up that can fit a 40c or more tire. Doesn't have to be from a big manufacture. Looking for going more small batch style.

What I have looked at so far...
-Rodeo Labs
-Breadwinner
-Squid Bikes

Open to suggestions! Thanks!

(Also going to cross post this in Cyclocross subforum)

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
CX'er
863 Posts
Some Steel options:
soma wolverine
vassago fisticuff
Van Deissel WTF
All-ciy space horse and space horse disc

I've owned both a space horse and a vassgo fisti (current gravel bike) and the vassago was a better fit. I'm a huge fan of the all-city styling though.

There are quite a few options now but I feel like those were the nicer steel options I came across, for the money. Frame+fork prices were under $1k and they were all companies I've heard of or knew someone that owned something from them.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Honey Bicycles » Cyclocross Utility

Very versatile. Kind of a given it would be good for gravel and trails because tires are mostly what that's all about but it's also very good for fast road rides with smaller tires.

I believe they are made when ordered though. So not "small batch" or batches of any size. I'm not sure about them being artisanal, organic and fair trade. Definitely cage-free and free range though.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I'm having Paul Sadoff (Rock Lobster) build me something like that

Sean Walling (Soulcraft) is highly recommended, too--check out the Dirtbomb

Lot of other great options out there--Carl Strong, IF, Hunter, etc. etc.

·
CX'er
863 Posts
The open UP and 3T exlporo have a lot of clearance also if you want something more expensive. The 3T exploro has really caught my attention but the price tag will probably keep me from getting one.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I have one of these based on a recommendation. Worked out fine as a gravel bike and I have Clement 40 mm tires on it with plenty of clearance.

AC108 V-brake cyclocross frame 2015 - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

Also comes in a disc version.
Nice frame! In my size, 54cm, it's got steep 74 degree seat post to get up over the crank and do some aggressive riding, while the slack 71 degree head tube gives comfort and predictable control. Very nice. What's the weight of the build?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Nice frame! In my size, 54cm, it's got steep 74 degree seat post to get up over the crank and do some aggressive riding, while the slack 71 degree head tube gives comfort and predictable control. Very nice. What's the weight of the build?
I wrote down the weight of the frameset and now I cannot find it. It was light though for a cross bike. I'm going to say around 1100 for the frame and 450 for the fork. In a 58. I bought it based on the experience of a fellow Canadian who raved about it on WW.

Here's a pic

Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Soma Fog Cutter will fit up to 42 (38 with fenders). Frame (Tange Prestige) is under $500. Matching carbon fork is another $250.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The current issue of Road Bike magazine has an article on 650B wheels. They are saying you can put 40c wheels in your normal road frame. Smaller diameter rims, larger tire size equals the same diameter as a 700c wheel with normal 23mm tires. You can pick it up at the market and see what you think.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
The current issue of Road Bike magazine has an article on 650B wheels. They are saying you can put 40c wheels in your normal road frame. Smaller diameter rims, larger tire size equals the same diameter as a 700c wheel with normal 23mm tires. You can pick it up at the market and see what you think.
650B wheels definitely have their appeal. They will turn tighter and will give you lower low gearing for stiff climbs.

The major disadvantage is they are not the norm, so there will be much fewer tire and rim choices.

·
3T Cycling
1,237 Posts
650B wheels definitely have their appeal. They will turn tighter and will give you lower low gearing for stiff climbs.

The major disadvantage is they are not the norm, so there will be much fewer tire and rim choices.
I think you'll see the 650B x 4xmm-5xmm options for road plus tires boom this year. Many OE brands will join this wheel/tire combo and the demand from the tire makers will increase the options. I'm loving the 47mm Horizon from WTB and look forward to the 48mm Compass Switchback hill testing we'll be doing in the coming weeks. Panaracer, Clement, Schwalbe, Maxxis and several others have or will be introducing tires by Sea Otter as well.

-SD

·
Registered
943 Posts
I wrote down the weight of the frameset and now I cannot find it. It was light though for a cross bike. I'm going to say around 1100 for the frame and 450 for the fork. In a 58. I bought it based on the experience of a fellow Canadian who raved about it on WW.

Here's a pic

View attachment 316617
Nice! Does it take a threaded bottom bracket? What's the max width tire it will take? Any issues you noted with the quality of the frame?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Nice! Does it take a threaded bottom bracket? What's the max width tire it will take? Any issues you noted with the quality of the frame?
Yes English BB.

It has 40 mm tires now and there's at least 1/4" clearance or more all around at the fork and at the rear.

Complete bike as shown with pedals (and tires that are 450 g each), is a tad over 17 lbs.

The frame and fork are excellent quality with a couple of small niggles that only apply to the canti brake version. The studs were all loose and I had to reinstall them with locktite.

The hanger for the rear brake is too low on the frame allowing the shortest yoke only on the Avid Shorty brake.

Overall though it's excellent for the price. I got a headset and seatpost collar thrown in as well.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes English BB.

It has 40 mm tires now and there's at least 1/4" clearance or more all around at the fork and at the rear.

Complete bike as shown with pedals (and tires that are 450 g each), is a tad over 17 lbs.

The frame and fork are excellent quality with a couple of small niggles that only apply to the canti brake version. The studs were all loose and I had to reinstall them with locktite.

The hanger for the rear brake is too low on the frame allowing the shortest yoke only on the Avid Shorty brake.

Overall though it's excellent for the price. I got a headset and seatpost collar thrown in as well.
Would it fit 45mm tires? Cost of the frame and fork including shipping? 130mm rear axle spacing?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
What is your budget? Are you wanting disc brakes? Are you wanting a specific frame material? Is PressFit a non-starter? Rack or fender mounts?

There are many frames that meet you tire clearance criteria. Need to narrow it down.

For example I just finished building up a Carver Ti gravel grinder with Di2 full custom. 45mm+ tire xlearance with fittings for racks and fenders.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts