Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has started to show a little interest in riding a bike. I have a Shimano 105 (5600 serires) group set I pulled off my bike recently and replaced. I was wanting to find a cheap frame and build her a bike to get her started to see if she likes it. I found a nice frame/fork here locally but it has bosses for downtube shifters. Can I use my 105 brifters and just bypass the bosses? Or am I stuck with using a downtube shifter on this type frame?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Shimano makes an adapter that fits over the square shifter boss to accept the STI cables. They used to ship with the shifters, if not in the ones you purchase, they are easy to find and many LBS have plenty of them in their parts bins. I have 4-5 sets myself I won't be using any time soon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered if they made something like that. It made sense that they would. Sounds like this frame may be worth a second look. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
When you buy new STI shifters, they include cable guides that fit over the DT shifter bosses. If not, you can buy them. Basically they just cover the bosses and provide a stop for the cable adjusters.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
old_fuji said:
Which is odd, because the instructions that ship with the "brifters" tell you to use the cable stops.

more and more bikes these days don't even have the dt stops... you can still get 'em, but you gotta pay

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
6600 and 7800 STIs still came with the bosses, don't know about the new ones.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I found three sets of STI hardware, untouched, in my parts drawer this AM while looking for something else. I know I have just the adjusters loose too. PM me if you need some as I doubt I'll use all of them anytime soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts