Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a fixie Frame to build up for some commuting, and when I switch wheels, some riding at the track...I have alot of money invested in my geared bikes, so I would like to keep the cost down on the frame. Steel or Aluminum doesnt really matter to me, but since I might bring this to the track, I am thinking aluminum might be better....Any suggestions?? Thanks!

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
lancerracer said:
I am looking for a fixie Frame to build up for some commuting, and when I switch wheels, some riding at the track...I have alot of money invested in my geared bikes, so I would like to keep the cost down on the frame. Steel or Aluminum doesnt really matter to me, but since I might bring this to the track, I am thinking aluminum might be better....Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Spicer and IRO come to mind first.

You can get a standard aluminum track frame from Spicer for $350 or so. I have a custom built alu Spicer track frame and it rides great. It's the huge blue one on his Custom Aluminum frames page. Gene is also a very good guy and easy to deal with.

As an aside, I'm not sure communting and track frames are perfectly compatible. You'll want to run at least a front brake on a commuter, and you'll have to do a bit more than swap wheels to run that bike on any track I've been on. Geometry is also different between the two. Track frames are very twitchy.

Depending on your size, you can probably pick up a frame from ebay pretty cheap to build up as a commuter. My steel SS/fixie frame was $68 shipped. I have another lugged steel frame waiting for a buildup I picked up for $32. You won't win any crits on them, but they are both fine for some winter riding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!...When I say commute...I mean the 3 minute ride from my house to class...with no real traffic etc...It has just become stupid for me to drive to school everyday, especially since the weather is nice.
Since my commute is so short...the bike can be more "track" oriented...but I will probably put a fork that is compatible with a front brake...

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
lancerracer said:
Check your local goodwills or play-it-again sports regularly. I found a nice centurion steel bike in great condition at a local playitagain for 30 bucks. I've put about 80.00 into it and have a very nice singlespeed. I'm chompin at the bit for a new fixie wheelset. Also ask friends, local shops etc for parts that are laying in their bins.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know about the Festish, but the Spicer standard track frame comes drilled for front and rear brakes. Right now you can get a frameset for $275 which I think is cheap for a new frame and fork. You can get inexpensive wheelsets form NYCBikes fo your street riding.

Cheers-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts