Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at frames it's often mentioned about stiffness in terms of weight. I have been wondering, for me which is not a pro, a frame which is more comfortable as well as stiff is perhaps a wiser choice instead of a super stiff. But what i don't really know, were is the stiffness zones best suited and were do we want some degree of flex/compliance?

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Looking at frames it's often mentioned about stiffness in terms of weight. I have been wondering, for me which is not a pro, a frame which is more comfortable as well as stiff is perhaps a wiser choice instead of a super stiff. But what i don't really know, were is the stiffness zones best suited and were do we want some degree of flex/compliance?
Not the least bit clear what you are asking. Are you talking about where in the frame to change compliance? At least as much "frame comfort" comes from geometry as from the stiffness of the frame itself. Moving the back wheel a little farther back means road shock will not be transmitted so directly up the seat tube. And of course wider tires at lower pressure will have a huge effect.

But what you seem to want is one of those certified "latterally stiff, vertically compliant" (Trademark) frames. Those are available from any marketing department.

·
Registered
460 Posts
As Kerry Iron said, most bikes companies are advertising their high-end bikes as light, stiff but comfortable. Is this true? Light and comfortable is easy. Light and stiff; yes with expensive nano, ballistic, hi-mod or whatever material jargon they call it. Stiff and comfortable maybe difficult.

Cervelo, Cannondale, BMC and others have resorted to beefy chain-stays and massive bottom bracket and claims to have achieved the stiff but made the seat-stays slim to make it comfortable. In the front end the head tube have transitioned from 1 inch to 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 to make it stiffer thus should track straighter.

Stiff yet comfortable? You just have to ride these to decide for yourself but one thing is sure, a big diameter tire with decreased air pressure (if your weight and riding style will permit this) will make virtually any frame a bit comfortable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do i explain, if Specialized create Venge which is supposedly as stiff as stiff gets, then they make Tarmac and Roubaix. Some say Tamac is the best choice as it is very stiff and also more compliant, were Venge is tougher for the rider (more harsh). While i was told Scotts Addict is even more brute then the Foil. I was wondering more of how to easily (if i am allowed to use that word!?) understand which bikes/ frames is branching out in either stiffer or more comfortable from the Foil (as i have Foil). I guess i am not good at explaining. Anyway, there are some i have talked to buying Venge thinking this is it, just to find the bike to stiff and harsh. But perhaps i am naive thinking it could be a simple candidate list for stiffer or more comfortable or perhaps, a good mix. I was told Look 695, Bianchi Oltre XR or Cervelo S5 was candidates. Where i live it is impossible to have bikes for test riding. If i do go to a larger city with more interesting bikes, i have problems taking the bikes for a serious test ride. I have understood wider tires with lower pressure is one way to go, but i was really more interested in frames as a starter. I was really curious of aero, more aero than Foil. But i have more and more starting to realize this is perhaps not, a good move.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,659 Posts
as Kerry posted you can make a much bigger difference in ride quality w/ bigger tires at slightly lower pressure than you'll ever feel by changing frames. the only bike i've ridden lately that actually feels significantly different from any other frame in terms of 'ride quality' or 'bump absorption' is the Trek Domane. nothing else even comes close. it's very stiff in the front end and at the bottom bracket, but smooths out bumps better than anything i've ever ridden. period.
i normally ride my Madone w/ 23mm tubless tires at about 85/90 rr and 75/80 frt. lately i've been using normal clinchers, a Michelin Pro4 SC 25mm (which is almost 28mm wide) and a Bontrager R2 25mm, both at 80psi. the ride is very, very smooth.
quit searching for some magical frame that will ride smoother yet be stiffer. instead, get some good tires in the proper size and run them at optimal pressure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at Domane before, but i never tried it. It has quite a high stack if i remember correct? The one Cancellara rides looks lower in the front!? I think Bianchi has Infinito CV ongoing, but perhaps Domane is better? Domane has a more forgiving frame than Madone i guess, but Madone seems more interesting looking at the frames stack and reach. The Foil 54 suits me well in fit, with an offset seatpost. So i try to use these numbers as a starter when i look at frames. But that is true, vibrations would be a blast to get rid of.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rickard,

i have been riding quite a few frames. from alu santa-cruz (roadster) to look 381, Cervelo soloist & R3, Parlee Z4 & finally a look 595.
generally, look frames are more complaint than others, while keeping the stiffness at the right levels (for me).
look's E-Post integrated design puts an elastomer between you and the road; that elastomer can be chosen out of three different "strengths" - black (stiff), Red (mid) and gray (soft).
i can tell differences between the elastomers, the gray one making the ride smoother than the black (for example).

From your description, i think you will be quite happy from the LOOK 695 (though i would look also at the Look 586SL - as complaint, a bit less stiff but much cheaper and without the propriety stem/crank).

i suggest you to read some reviews (look frames). these are usually described as smooth :)
good luck
Oren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.