Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Edge08
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a warranty claim in October for a Felt 75, a broken chain stay. I was that shitty with the brand I decided to ditch rebuilding their replacement frame and purchased a full carbon frame by a company called Vellum.

I am now making another claim...the Vellum Edge 2008 frame is defective. A major clicking sound is evident when out of the saddle, After 3 bike shops to diagnose the problem, re lubricating every part you can imagine, not one mechanic found the issue because they wouldn't leave their workshop and actually test ride. Instead, I found the issue using my hand pushing into the side of the top tube and pulling the down tube towards me *Click*

The Carbon frame by Vellum twists like any frame when climbing but its so noisy on every peddle stroke. Has anybody experienced frame problems like mine with any of the big name Euro bikes?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Are they going to warranty the frame? I hate to say it, but sometimes that is what you get when you go with a knock off brand trying to compete with the big three. If you want piece of mind sometimes you have to pay for it. I hope they cover your defective frame! I do know a few people who have Vellums and have not had problems but sometimes things do arrise. Good luck and let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
???

For a frame to actually make a clicking sound, one of the tubes would have to be loose at the lug, assuming it is tubes bonded into lugs type construction. You need to identify the problem more exactly. Otherwise, you might send the frame in for warranty replacement and have it sent back, claiming nothing is wrong. Look for hairline cracks at the joints.

I've not had a warranty claim with any of 13 frames, over 25 years.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Unless everything removable was removed from the frame when you did your deflection test, there's still a possibility for the frame itself to be perfectly fine. Just saying.

·
Edge08
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
g-Bike said:
Are they going to warranty the frame? I hate to say it, but sometimes that is what you get when you go with a knock off brand trying to compete with the big three. If you want piece of mind sometimes you have to pay for it. I hope they cover your defective frame! I do know a few people who have Vellums and have not had problems but sometimes things do arrise. Good luck and let us know how it goes...
What's the big three, Trek, Giant and .........?

·
Registered
520 Posts
berryman said:
What's the big three, Trek, Giant and .........?
Specialized of course! Having a company with a large R/D department pays when it comes to reliability and warranty issues.

·
Edge08
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wim said:
Unless everything removable was removed from the frame when you did your deflection test, there's still a possibility for the frame itself to be perfectly fine. Just saying.
thanks Wim, the Bozo mechanics stripped everything after I requested. No click! Everything is reassembled, lubed and the sound seems to have gone. Thanks for your reply.

·
Edge08
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
g-Bike said:
I spoke to a guy who races the Vellum frames. He said I shouldn't jump to conclusions based on what a handful of mechanics say. He was right. Vellum apparently have experienced very little warranty woes, that makes me feel better. The sound has gone after stripping, reinstalling and lubing. Geez they fed me some **** though! Might change mechanics.

Your reference to "knock off" I'm assuming is due to Vellum's Pinnerello like shape? Intense Frames share the same factory as Vellum, are you referring to that?

Thanks for your feedback anyhow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
im getting the exact same problem with mine... its with the distributor now being checked out. i have a mate who bought at the same time as me and he has the same noise under power. would love to think its just co-incidence and the BB area needs to be cleaned and re-lubed but i am also fearing the worse.

·
Edge08
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the noise has stopped in my frame after everything was stripped and reinstalled with some major lubing.
The groupset is ultegra with FSA Carbon Pro tour crankset 53/39 and Fulcrum1 wheelset. Before the strip and lube it weighed about 8.2kg with pedals. It now weighs closer to 8.3kg. This suggests the mechanics pumped it full of that much **** there is no tick or creeking!
I spoke to a guy in CA who races Vellum and coached an entire team with Vellum. He reccomended the frameset and swears he's never heard of a frame problem??

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah i spoke with the distributor and he swears its the BB that just needs to be taken out, greased and reinstalled. even went as far as saying that he would hand deliver a new frame or a refund if the sound doesnt go away... gotta love excellent customer service.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm glad everything worked out and just to let you know the difference from 8.2 kg and 8.3kg may just be the error percentage of the scale being use? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Are you on crack? Felt would replace that frame super fast. I had a Felt F80 that cracked in the same place. Felt is awesome at customer service. I took my bike to the shop and they had the frame replaced and I was back in the saddle in three days. Felt replaced my frame based on the voicemail my LBS left them. They didn't even ask for my receipt. The shop owner called on a Monday and Felt never returned his call. Next day, UPS drops off my new frame. No questions asked. The following day, I'm out riding again and haven't had a problem since. Felt makes a good product and they stand behind their stuff. Check out the Felt forum and you'll see what I mean. Other companies have just as many issues. Those that have less sell less frames but percentage wise have a higher frequency of repairs. I now own a Felt F85, F55(same frame as your F75), and F2 and have not had any problems with them.

·
Edge08
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Felt CA1 Frameset

yeah, I'm building The Warranty replacement Felt frame this week with Sram red groupset. Its a CA1 carbon comp.

·
Edge08
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Bike Shop

The bike shop have decided to supply a changeover Vellum Edge frame and supply labour to build. They've finally decided it is the frame!! Pick up tomorrow. I had that gut feeling all along.

Just bad luck.

Thanks for all your replies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.