Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the conference we had a couple days to spend on our own. We took the train 30 minues south to the town of Beaune. There we found a wonderful bike rental place. Well maintained touring bikes and the guy in the shop was a fountian of information.

Cote d'Or has been working on a system of velo routes and "voie verts" (greenways) for biking throughout Burgundy. We spent a day riding a velo route on small farm roads through the vineyards and small towns between Beaune and Santenay, 44 km out and back.

My husband with our bikes at the market in Beaune. We stopped to get bread, cheese, peaches and cherries before setting off.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Pommard to Volnay

The first little town is Pommard. Parking is an art form in these places.

Kirk is quite a bit slower than I am, so I usually rode a bit ahead to take pix.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meursault

Along the way to Meursault I saw this section of double curtained vineyard. Everything thing else was single curtain.

In Meursault. And then on to Puligny-Montrachet.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The work of the vineyards.

I grew up helping out in my aunt and uncle's vineyards. They had over 150 acres of grapes, and though there is some mechanization, wine grapes require much hand labor. I have spent many school vacations tying grapes, combing grapes, pulling brush and hand picking. I love this staute in the center square of Puligny.

We stopped at this cellar to do some tasting on the ride back.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bikes and grapes

What a great combination! Summer grapes.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Santenay and Chateau Hardi

Fountain in the main square in Santenay. My husband took over the camera. I made him promise no "butt" shots. His reply was "either stay far enough ahead, or stay behind."

It took a while but we finally found the Chateau Hardi the bike rental guy said not to miss. And the tasting began...

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
more tasting...

Obviously I'm out standing in my field, :)

"Lets' see, what to start with?"

One day is not nearly enough to spend on bikes and wine. I would go back in a heartbeat. Burgundy has almost 600 km of velo routes and greenways completed and hopes to have a total of 800 done within the next two years. If you want a link to info let me know!

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
angel of the morning
2,984 Posts
:thumbsup:

thanks for the posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I love France

Favourite place to travel in the whole wide world (and I have been lots of places). Thanks so much for the pix. I still dream about cycling through Provence, wandering the streets of Paris until the sun goes down, picnics of crusty bread, stinky cheese and cheap red wine... sigh.

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
theBreeze said:
This link is to a pdf publication ....http://
You did a bad thing by posting a link to that,
I did a bad thing by finally looking at it this morning and printing it out,
I think I'm in trouble.

Looks like I'm starting the planning process for a vacation. Thank you, I think. :D

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Wow, unbelievably beautiful. It makes my six little vines kind of seem a little weak :).

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I have visited many places in France, but I never have been to Burgundy. That is unless you count going in or near Burgundy on the TGV doing 180 mph. Your pictures definitely make me want to visit Burgundy, too. Thanks for the pictures.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Wow, unbelievably beautiful. It makes my six little vines kind of seem a little weak :).
How many bottles of wine can you get out of your six vines? Our house is on one corner of our property and we have a large grass field that is unused (i.e., it used to be the drainage field for our failed septic system). I have said more than once that we should turn it into a vineyard. But, our property is on the south side of a valley, so we do not get the same sun coverage that the north side gets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.