Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the spread on my 11 speed 12-25 cuz it gives me an 18t between 17t and 19t right in my sweet spot. But the 12t is occasionally limiting on downhills. I have the 206 mile LOTOJA ride coming up, which has some substantial length downhills where I know I will spin out and get dropped.

Sooo..... I have a friend with an 11-25 (which doesn't have the 18t). She said she will loan me her 11t so I can swap it with my 12t. I don't care about the big ratio gap, I don't use that range much anyway. It's just for the downhills. I don't care if the ramp pattern doesn't line up or if it shifts lumpy, I am aware of the situation and wouldn't be shifting under load anyway.

Whaddaya think, will my Super Record derailleur move the chain from an 11t to a 13t in one jump? Anything else to watch out for?

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Lock ring issue

gibbons said:
I love the spread on my 11 speed 12-25 cuz it gives me an 18t between 17t and 19t right in my sweet spot. But the 12t is occasionally limiting on downhills. I have the 206 mile LOTOJA ride coming up, which has some substantial length downhills where I know I will spin out and get dropped.

Sooo..... I have a friend with an 11-25 (which doesn't have the 18t). She said she will loan me her 11t so I can swap it with my 12t. I don't care about the big ratio gap, I don't use that range much anyway. It's just for the downhills. I don't care if the ramp pattern doesn't line up or if it shifts lumpy, I am aware of the situation and wouldn't be shifting under load anyway.

Whaddaya think, will my Super Record derailleur move the chain from an 11t to a 13t in one jump? Anything else to watch out for?
You'll need the 11t lock ring rather than your current 12t lock ring. Also, you can ask yourself whether you will gain much speed. Once you hit about 35 mph, it's faster to get into a tight tuck and coast than it is to ride in the drops while pedaling. You didn't say whether you had a compact or a 53/39, but 53/11 is 37 mph (60 km/hr) at 100 rpm.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The swap will work fine, but as Kerry said, make sure you borrow the corresponding lockring also. Have a great ride.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You'll miss the 13 more than you'll miss the 18. Just borrow the whole danged cassette and be done with it. The jump from an 11 to a 12 is actually pretty big when you look at gear inches, and 11-13 jump would be huge.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. My solo flat cruising speed average is about 20, and with groups its 24ish or so depending on the other riders. At those speeds, I never get close to a 13 or 12, even with compact. Hey, I'm old and fat. On this particular ride coming up, I know I would use the 18 100x more than a 12. I did Utah's Ultimate Challenge ride (96 miles, 11000') and got regularly dropped on the downhills.

I put a Tremec 5 speed in my Chevelle. The first 4 gears are pretty close, and the overdrive 5th gear is a .64 ratio. I only use 5th on the freeway above 65. I am looking at this 11 tooth as one of those unique ratios for limited conditions.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,439 Posts
i think it'll work fine for the ride you're doing. you've got the 18 that you use a lot, and the 11 for big descents. as long as you get the 11t lockring w/ the cog you're good. about the only possible problem you could have would be if you had a wippermann link in your chain and it was installed upside down...it would hit the lockring and skip in the 11.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts