Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the spread on my 11 speed 12-25 cuz it gives me an 18t between 17t and 19t right in my sweet spot. But the 12t is occasionally limiting on downhills. I have the 206 mile LOTOJA ride coming up, which has some substantial length downhills where I know I will spin out and get dropped.

Sooo..... I have a friend with an 11-25 (which doesn't have the 18t). She said she will loan me her 11t so I can swap it with my 12t. I don't care about the big ratio gap, I don't use that range much anyway. It's just for the downhills. I don't care if the ramp pattern doesn't line up or if it shifts lumpy, I am aware of the situation and wouldn't be shifting under load anyway.

Whaddaya think, will my Super Record derailleur move the chain from an 11t to a 13t in one jump? Anything else to watch out for?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. My solo flat cruising speed average is about 20, and with groups its 24ish or so depending on the other riders. At those speeds, I never get close to a 13 or 12, even with compact. Hey, I'm old and fat. On this particular ride coming up, I know I would use the 18 100x more than a 12. I did Utah's Ultimate Challenge ride (96 miles, 11000') and got regularly dropped on the downhills.

I put a Tremec 5 speed in my Chevelle. The first 4 gears are pretty close, and the overdrive 5th gear is a .64 ratio. I only use 5th on the freeway above 65. I am looking at this 11 tooth as one of those unique ratios for limited conditions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.