Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One second the sky was clear , next the clouds came. Luckily i was not out riding. You can still see the bit of clear sky around the coast , which is also an industrial area. The bit of orange on the right is caused by the setting sun. Crazy Weather!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm pretty sure

those are called "cumulo mamatus". I know I probably spelled it wrong.

They are indicative of extreme turbulence to aircraft, but will not hurt you on a bicycle.

I know this because of an unfortunate encounter with these exact clouds while flying. It took all of the combined strength of me, and my first officer, to keep the aircraft we were flying from going completely inverted. It happened in a flash, too.

Thanks for the pic!

ride safe and far....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alter Ego said:
Dude, it looks as though the world is about to end....
Hahaha....
ridefar , the clouds won't hurt me , but the lightning and winds would. I live in an area where this two elements are the worst. Probably got something to do with living in an industrial area. Once i got slammed by crosswinds as strong as those in the pics , causing me to skid sideways and i hit the curb. Keep in mind that at that time i was riding a super heavy bike with Alex wheels. And there was broken signs and dustbins all over the road. Yikes!
You ride safe too! :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
ridefar said:
those are called "cumulo mamatus". I know I probably spelled it wrong.

They are indicative of extreme turbulence to aircraft, but will not hurt you on a bicycle.

I know this because of an unfortunate encounter with these exact clouds while flying. It took all of the combined strength of me, and my first officer, to keep the aircraft we were flying from going completely inverted. It happened in a flash, too.

Thanks for the pic!

ride safe and far....
What were you flying at the time?

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
That's really freaky...makes me think of Ghostbusters for some reason. Once when I was a kid, we were in a neighbour's basement due to a tornado warning in the area. We popped up when it had cleared, and watched a massive funnel cloud roll across the sky...still the scariest thing I've ever seen. It was like a giant roll of black clouds unrolling as it travelled through, leaving complete darkness behind, stretching as far as we could see.

I saw this a couple of years back - clouds can certainly be scary at times.

·
Registered
359 Posts
One day last spring we had a front bearing down on North Texas. The weather was set up perfectly to ride out heading north with a 20mph+ wind that was feeding the front, get to the wind shift point, then ride back in with a 20mph+ wind after it shifted. I headed out and figured I would check the progress of the front via my cell phone. As I got closer to the wind shift though, I could see clouds in the distance rolling towards me. Your picture is what they looked like just before the wind shifted. It got really still and humid for a few minutes right under that cloud canopy. It was so freaky looking, I thought I was going to die. I didn't and it was sure fun riding north then south with a continuous tailwind. It was psychoticly cheating, but it was my fastest century ever. :cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rule said:
One day last spring we had a front bearing down on North Texas. The weather was set up perfectly to ride out heading north with a 20mph+ wind that was feeding the front, get to the wind shift point, then ride back in with a 20mph+ wind after it shifted. I headed out and figured I would check the progress of the front via my cell phone. As I got closer to the wind shift though, I could see clouds in the distance rolling towards me. Your picture is what they looked like just before the wind shifted. It got really still and humid for a few minutes right under that cloud canopy. It was so freaky looking, I thought I was going to die. I didn't and it was sure fun riding north then south with a continuous tailwind. It was psychoticly cheating, but it was my fastest century ever. :cool:
Do the clouds roll fast? The ones in the pics moved from north to south over my flat in about 5 mins!
BTW i rode yesterday and the roads are covered in branches and there are cracks and holes all over the road. I hope they are not patched yet. Would take pics tommorow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts