Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Particularly in light of the Eddy Merckx getting punched by a fan, then Lance being taken out by a musette bag, doesn't it seem nutty that crowds are not controlled better on the climbs? Man, it seems almost a certainty that something will happen to someone, whether accidental or intentionally. Idiots stepping out in front to take pictures. Idiots running along with big flags. Crowds 10 deep parting only at the last possible second. It would drive me nuts as a rider to be riding 15 mph directly at people, just hoping they will clear (not that I'll ever have to worry about that personally ;-).

I also fear that Lance will have some idiot enemy out there, maybe someone who just thinks no one should ever win more than 5, who could easily take him out, at least slow him down, if not take him out of the entire Tour. It would be so easy. Suppose Lance is thinking about that every second on some of the narrow climbs?

·
Registered
270 Posts
what does happen....

CLTRD said:
tradition mostly I guess..

150 miles of fence might have something to do with it also

It just does take one idiot to change the history of the TdF..run out and attack a rider...stop Lance or any other rider. Suprized its never happened for political purposes with all the Spanish riders.

How could you control 125 odd miles of road each day? There is no way.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
climbs

ClydeTri said:
It just does take one idiot to change the history of the TdF..run out and attack a rider...stop Lance or any other rider. Suprized its never happened for political purposes with all the Spanish riders.

How could you control 125 odd miles of road each day? There is no way.
I know you can't barricade the whole route, but what about maybe the last few miles, instead of only the last 500 meters (isn't that the standard?)?

Or, run a full sized car in front of the riders instead of only a motorcycle?

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
I was thinking about the riot that would break out if someone jumped Lance. I'm betting theres enough Lance fans in the crowd that any attacker would find himself taking the express elevator down the side of the mountain.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's true

firstrax said:
I was thinking about the riot that would break out if someone jumped Lance. I'm betting theres enough Lance fans in the crowd that any attacker would find himself taking the express elevator down the side of the mountain.
They'd have to be almost terrorist suicidal. If so, there's nothing anyone could do anyway.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think the obvious solution is to have the French Military secure the route.... Oh, wait nevermind...

The German Military is pretty familiar with the French countryside, mabye they could do it?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
DougSloan said:
I know you can't barricade the whole route, but what about maybe the last few miles, instead of only the last 500 meters (isn't that the standard?)?

Or, run a full sized car in front of the riders instead of only a motorcycle?
on the climb in question they had barriers at the 2k mark on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
import silvia said:
I think the obvious solution is to have the French Military secure the route.... Oh, wait nevermind...

The German Military is pretty familiar with the French countryside, mabye they could do it?
Hoo wheeee! Too funny!

·
Registered
268 Posts
DougSloan said:
Particularly in light of the Eddy Merckx getting punched by a fan, then Lance being taken out by a musette bag, doesn't it seem nutty that crowds are not controlled better on the climbs? Man, it seems almost a certainty that something will happen to someone, whether accidental or intentionally. Idiots stepping out in front to take pictures. Idiots running along with big flags. Crowds 10 deep parting only at the last possible second. It would drive me nuts as a rider to be riding 15 mph directly at people, just hoping they will clear (not that I'll ever have to worry about that personally ;-).

I also fear that Lance will have some idiot enemy out there, maybe someone who just thinks no one should ever win more than 5, who could easily take him out, at least slow him down, if not take him out of the entire Tour. It would be so easy. Suppose Lance is thinking about that every second on some of the narrow climbs?
The encroaching fans make me nervous. I was thinking that a good deterrent would be to put 5' curb feelers on either side of the pace motorcycle. Any fan who got too close would get a sharp rap on the shins! [WHACK-WHACK!] aaaaiiiiiiyyyeeeeeeeee!!!

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Last 5 K to have barriers on the L'Alpe time trial. They expect one million peple to be on the mountian for the time trial?!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
The guy flipping LA the double bird...

mohair_chair said:
Can't imagine why Lance would be worried...
I can't imagine having such innane idiots in my face all the time... I would probably end up in the slammer if I were in LA's place... why are people such morons?

-D

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,267 Posts
Car Bomb

DougSloan said:
They'd have to be almost terrorist suicidal. If so, there's nothing anyone could do anyway.
This brings up what I've been thinking about the last few months. All a determined attacker of the extremist end of a religion would need is a standard car bomb application. Something like that could take out Armstrong and 20 people, plus about 50+ injuries. This is highly unlikely so I don't have a major fear about it, but just a nagging concern about the remote possibility. Something as simple as a syringe filled with an acid or other mix sprayed from a distance could take out a rider. I know it sounds paranoid and unlikely, but the possibilities are real.

Bob Roll answered a viewer's question about the crowds being so close on the climbs. He said that this is the only sport where you can get so close to the players. This makes it more popular and therefore brings out the massive spectators. Take this away and the sport loses a good portion of its spectators.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,267 Posts
Remember, many of those people are drunk off their @ss's, which makes them even more dangerous. For the most part, the Basque fans support every rider that passes their way, especially the front runners.

I'd have a difficult time with some drunk idiot flipping me off from a foot away while I was at my limit, doing what I spent all year preparing for. Tunnel vision must come into play, I guess.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,250 Posts
It's part of what makes the tours great.

The fan-packed roads are one of the things that makes the tours so exciting. With the public so close, the races attain a glorious chaos. They become a deliciously messy experience. The crowd adds drama. The crowd adds comedy. This ain't no lab experiment. It's the Tour Day France.

·
Banned
662 Posts
Have you guys even attended a sporting event outside of cycling? Or are you nerds only into cycling and chess? This stuff happens all the time in football, baseball, basketball. Baque people have a big rivalry with their own country! This stuff occurred even when Indurain was dominating.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The tradition seems to be to take it right to the line... but not cross it. It's horrifying to watch, but there seems to be very little real risk; for whatever reason, no matter how drunk and obnoxious the fans get, they never take it to the next level. Aside from the Merckx incident, and the Giro a few years back where whats-his-name punched that heckler in the face, I honestly can't remember anyone PURPOSELY physically assaulting a rider during one of the (modern) big Tours.

The motorcycle guys DID get a bit aggro for awhile there--did you see that one guy get full-on cross checked into a camper by the lead motorcycle? Classic.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts