Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick thread before I crash for the night. Mrs Tcon and I went back to our hometown (Salisbury, NC) for her sister's baby shower this weekend. That means on Saturday I got to sleep in, ride about 2.5 hours, socialize and hang out. Sunday was way too windy to ride and Mrs Tcon, her mom and sister all wanted to shop for an hour or two before we had to drive 4.5 hours back to Georgia. All of a sudden I realized that I had free time alone with relatively no constraints and that my dslr was feeling lonely. Therefore I decided to go out and make some pics. Salisbury is a pretty historic place but we pretty much took it for granted growing up there.

I'm sure some of these will be reposted whenever Roebuck does his February pics of the month thread in a week or two.

Some flowers that caught my eye

I like the way this church looks

Confederate memorial

Another shot of the memorial

Mural depicting the past. The lady who did this was my 5th grade art teacher

Old law office

I actually went to this church....didn't realize it was founded in 1783

Along the sidewalk in town

Cheerwine is a regional soft drink that was started here.

Salisbury Train Depot

Salisbury Emporium....used to be an old mill and then general store/supply company

One for Roebuck...got yelled at by some homeless people under the bridge while taking this.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
tconrady said:
One for Roebuck...got yelled at by some homeless people under the bridge while taking this.
OMG! I'm honored.

The lack of people in your shots is inspiring.

Looks like a great place to shoot. Thanks for sharing.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Good stuff and some great subjects. Looks like a nice little town. I like the cheerwine sign best. Something about the composition catches my eye.

I'm learning to operate my DSLR, now I need to learn to take good photos like the rest of you guys. I have the eye of an engineer, not an artist.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chain said:
I like the guy getting felt up by the angel. :p
Thanks for the new perspective! :thumbsup: :D

I'm not sure I'll be able to look at that the same way again! :)

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Good old smalltown USA, I love it, reminds me of Dahlonega.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
what is the first pic?

i love seeing old buildings like that.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tomk96 said:
what is the first pic?

i love seeing old buildings like that.
I had to look it up to be sure...gotta love the interwebs when you can't recall something!

"Presbyterian Bell Tower � 1892. All that remains of the Richardsonian Romanesque First Presbyterian Church. Tower saved from demolition in 1970s, has become a symbol of preservation in Salisbury and Rowan County."

Here's some more info: http://www.salisburync.gov/heritage_tour.html

Pic 1 & 2 are #118 in that link
Pic 3 is #119
Pic 4 is just a gazebo close by the stuff in the first 3 pics
Pic 5 is just some nearby flowers
Pic 6 is #121
Pic 7 & 8 are #120
Pic 9 is #10
Pic 10 is #11
Pic 11 is across the street from pic 10

From that link above you can tell there's a bunch of historic stuff all over the place. I'll be back up there again for a party this coming weekend. I want to get out and get some more stuff that I wasn't able to get to this time. I really want to get a shot of the mural without the shadow.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
weltyed said:
i cant fathom the thought of flowers pokling up yet. we just got 4 more inches this weekend.

i hate you.
Same except more like 6". I had forgotten those things could actually survive outside.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
weltyed said:
i cant fathom the thought of flowers pokling up yet. we just got 4 more inches this weekend.

i hate you.
we maybe got 2in. most of it melted in the sun yesterday. i still hate winter.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VaughnA said:
Minus Otis.
The version of Otis I saw I think was a drug dealer hanging by a payphone near the train depot. Too bad too, because he kept standing infront of a neat little train mural.

I also got yelled at by a homeless couple under a bridge for the graffti shot. I'm not totally sure they were homeless or they were just down there getting high. Kinda sad either way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts