Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had read somewhere that there is not a good/safe way to remove a freehub body unless the hub is already laced up to a rim. Well, I got a really cheap NOS 600 wheelset that was only good for a 7 speed with a 126mm drop out. I wanted to update the rear wheel and found a Tiagra hub on ebay for $5. I only needed the bearings, axle, and hub body. Here is how I got the hub body off without damaging the original hub, even though I have no use for it now.

edited to add.... when truing the wheel, I did redish it just a little to the driveside.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Getting off easy - getting back on difficult

handsomerob said:
I had read somewhere that there is not a good/safe way to remove a freehub body unless the hub is already laced up to a rim. Well, I got a really cheap NOS 600 wheelset that was only good for a 7 speed with a 126mm drop out. I wanted to update the rear wheel and found a Tiagra hub on ebay for $5. I only needed the bearings, axle, and hub body. Here is how I got the hub body off without damaging the original hub, even though I have no use for it now.
The problem isn't so much getting the freehub body off an unbuilt hub - you can just hold a sprocket with a chain whip. The problem is getting a freehub body back onto an unbuilt hub - the freehub pawls will spin freely as you turn the tubular bolt clockwise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mark McM said:
The problem isn't so much getting the freehub body off an unbuilt hub - you can just hold a sprocket with a chain whip. The problem is getting a freehub body back onto an unbuilt hub - the freehub pawls will spin freely as you turn the tubular bolt clockwise.
That doesn't seem like too big a deal, either lace the wheel before installing the freehub/axle, or bolt the freehub down finger tight, build your wheel to tension, then remove the axle and tighten it completly and the rebuild the hub.

Nothing a bit of extra time won't solve :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.