Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
As a guide what sort of mileage are you looking at before carrying out freehub servicing? I understand riding conditions can alter this significantly but as a general rule of thumb riding in decent conditions. I've got about 3500 miles on my current wheelset and they seem fine. Should I bother servicing?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Take a Look

fuppinbaxter said:
Hi
As a guide what sort of mileage are you looking at before carrying out freehub servicing? I understand riding conditions can alter this significantly but as a general rule of thumb riding in decent conditions. I've got about 3500 miles on my current wheelset and they seem fine. Should I bother servicing?
I agree it depends on riding conditions but also on the freehub body design. My experience with the earlier Mavic design, that has an inboard bushing (rather than a bearing), is that the sealing system is less than adequate and therefore results in rapid bushing wear unless very frequently serviced.

The conventional Campy design has the more robust inboard bearing design plus a better sealing system so can go longer between servicing. Campy also uses a low visc grease which I believe is a better choice than Mavic's mineral oil.

Anyway, as a general rule, I would recommend servicing every 1500 - 2000 miles in ordinary conditions, which would be adequate with the Mavic design. If you get in there and find it clean and adequately lubed, just close it up and go longer.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I don't think that there is any particular service interval. If it's running smoothly and quietly, you can go someplace short of forever without service. It'll ask for service either by getting louder, not engaging as smoothly when you pedal after coasting, or by having more friction which you'll notice if it starts turning the cranks when walking if it didn't do so before.

Other than that preventive service is a judgment call cased mostly of weather and the riding environment. I have field serviceable hub bearings, and I service them and the free hub at the same time, usually in March after a winter of riding on salted roads.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Ymmv

fuppinbaxter said:
You need to inspect first, then maintain. I do our Campy freehubs once per year, which works out to around 10,000 miles. As noted, MAVIC freehubs are not that well designed and often need much more frequent service.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I do mine once per year (6,000mi) unless I notice something awry before that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ride a set of Easton EA90SL Wheels. I have noticed that my freehub needs cleaning/relube about every 1500-1700 miles. Kind of a pain but I love the wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts