Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a Shimano freewheel on the "flip" side of my flip-flop hub. I greased the threads, screwed it in by hand, then spun the pedals to fully tighten it. The weird thing is, when I had it in the stand and pedaled, when it was coasting the frewheel would kind of wobble. What caused this?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Normal.

A freewheel spins only when you coast or backpedal, so the bearings don't transmit any load. Because of that, almost all manufacturers put cheaper bearings with relatively large tolerances into their freewheels, hence the normal and universal freewheel wobble.

If you pedal forward and apply power, the freewheel becomes stationary in relation to the hub and the pawls transmit all the load. These need to be of good quality. If your freewheel wobbles while pedaling forward under power, you do have a problem. But I bet it doesn't.

For what it's worth, a huge number of "ten-speeds" used to be returned to bike shops with the customer complaining of freewheel wobble when backpedaling. Demonstrating how other bikes (even high-end racing bikes) in the store wobbled their freewheels would usually take care of the complaint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts