Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how difficult is it to change out a freewheel, are there any special tools required or can I swing this with what I have in my toolbox ie basic household and mechanics tools, no uni-taskers with the exception of a chaintool
thanks in advance

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
uristring said:
how difficult is it to change out a freewheel, are there any special tools required or can I swing this with what I have in my toolbox ie basic household and mechanics tools, no uni-taskers with the exception of a chaintool
thanks in advance
You will need a special tool--probably two. I'll make the bold assumption that you are really talking about a cassette (a freewheel is slightly different). In that case, you need the tool that will fit the cassette lockring, and a chain whip to keep the freehub from spinning while you loosen the lockring. With a freewheel, I believe all you need is a chain whip (maybe two--it's been a while). You'll also want a torque wrench for putting things back together, but I'd consider that to be a basic mechanic tool.

I recommend taking a look at the "how to" section of the Park Tool website. It shows everything step-by-step.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Not quite

bikeboy389 said:
With a freewheel, I believe all you need is a chain whip (maybe two--it's been a while).
Nope, you need a remover tool, like the lock ring tool for a cassette, and it needs to be specific to the brand/model of the freewheel.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
For a one-time swap, a shop might do it free...

I have a four or five freewheel tools (Suntour, Shimano, I forget whatall) I haven't used in years, but they're getting sort of hard to find. If you really need to remove a freewheel (rather than a cassette), a shop would probably spin it off for you free or for a couple of dollars. BMX places should have the tool if you can't find it anywhere else.
For a cassette, it's probably worth buying the stuff--it's not expensive, and you'll use it again.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Nope, you need a remover tool, like the lock ring tool for a cassette, and it needs to be specific to the brand/model of the freewheel.
Haven't even SEEN the tool end of a freewheel in 10-12 years, so I'm not surprised I've forgotten. Thanks for the correction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts