Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: Going out for a 2-4 hour ride and you are going to bring some food to eat on the road.

a) What do you bring?
b) Do you put it in the fridge first, or maybe the freezer? Or neither?

I put a power bar in the fridge for a few hours before my ride this past saturday and I had to stop to eat it because it melted and stuck to the wrapper. It made me feel great though.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
If I were going for a 2 hr. ride, I wouldn't take anything but water or Gatorade. On a four hour ride I'd probably bring a banana & maybe a couple of Power bars. I wouldn't cool them. I just stuff'em in a jersey pocket. I like power bars, but I wish they'd do something about their packaging. As it is, you have to use a screwdriver and a pair of pliers to get the b*(&$ open.

The night before the ride, I fill my bottles with Gatorade and put them in the freezer. Because the bottles are plastic, they'll expand along with the liquid and won't break or crack. That keeps them cool for quite a while.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
For a 2 hr. ride, I would just eat a good meal or snack beforehand and bring water. For longer rides, I usually make PB & honey sandwiches, but I make them w/ 1 piece of bread folded over like a little kid would. They're much easier to eat while riding if I make them that way. For rides longer than 40 miles, I pack one for every 20 miles of riding. I also either carry a gel flask filled w/ honey, or I bring a few bucks if I know I'll be passing somewhere that has a treat I might want (ice cream, candy, etc). For longer rides, I may also use my Camelbak for extra water if I'm not sure about passing a place where I can top off my bottles.

I know other folks who do things like carry Ziploc bags of powdered Gatorade mix, so they can top off their water bottles and add the mix instead of having to pay $1.50 for a bottle of Gatorade at the convenience store.

·
Registered
838 Posts
On hot days, it's probably best to avoid energy bars with chocolate or anything else that easily melts. So for Powerbars, you might want to stick with the nuts and grain bar--it won't melt.

After four hours sitting in your jersey pocket on a hot day, I don't think it's going to make much difference whether or not you froze it first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.