Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
Already one of my favorite riders, that bunnyhop over a dirt median at speed just confirms it.
It was a concrete berm he had to bunnyhop over to ride the dirt (big pain if he messed up)! He rules and it was the race winning move as the course veered off to the left after the roundabout! Put him a few meters ahead of the others and that's all it took!!!

· your text here
13,203 Posts
i remember seein mcewen do this a few years ago. the peleton came up to a traffic median, 1/2 went one one, 1/2 the other, and the aussi bunny hopped from the left group to right group. he was toasted by the commentators. granted, he was travelin at a good clip and in the peleton when he did it, but i thought it was sweet.

· Registered
91 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I hope Cycling.tv has video of this manouver.
Cycling.tv does indeed have it on video.

I almost skipped today's stage so that I could have one day this week when I didn't have to work late to make up for staying home in the morning to watch cycling.tv, but I'm glad I didn't.

Freire rocks!

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I just watched the highlights, it's up there.

I didn't know the results ahead of time, and you had Brian already saying "there's no chance they'll stay away, it's over"; and then Friere pulled that out of the bag. It was hillarious watching how frustrated the sprinters were -- this has been a cool Tour de Suisse -- not one true bunch sprint! (Boonen won the first stage, but that's 'cause he's a rocking classics guy; McEwen, Zabel, etc, couldn't get over that last little climb)

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Stasera said:
Cycling.tv does indeed have it on video.

I almost skipped today's stage so that I could have one day this week when I didn't have to work late to make up for staying home in the morning to watch cycling.tv, but I'm glad I didn't.

Freire rocks!
Sweet. I'll watch it tonight when the kids go to bed.

· Registered
101 Posts
I agree

Do you think he really knew how much time he'd get by jumping that median before the round about? Does his D.S. deserve this win or Oscar? After the poor showing yesterday with Rasmussen,(letting him get away with no food so he just crashes on the last climb) I'd be surprised that the D.S did infact radio Oscar about the little short cut. But you never know, great way to prove to Rabbobank you still know what you're doing :D Do you think Freire would have that info on his stem or something? He's going like mad to stay away from the pelton, and he think's to himself I'll jump over here and poof I win the stage? One of the best moves I've seen this year to win, almost as good as Cancellara timing the train crossing prefectly for the win in P.R. this year :)

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Well, maybe his DS told him, but I wouldn't put it past a wily classics rider like Freire to see the roundabout and have a sudden lightbulb above his head.

It didn't LOOK planned, exactly, so either he hid it really well or just invented it. Either way, it made for exciting watching! When I saw him flying up behind the race direction car I thought "WTF?"

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Argentius said:
Well, maybe his DS told him, but I wouldn't put it past a wily classics rider like Freire to see the roundabout and have a sudden lightbulb above his head.

It didn't LOOK planned, exactly, so either he hid it really well or just invented it. Either way, it made for exciting watching! When I saw him flying up behind the race direction car I thought "WTF?"
Just finished watching. It was cool, however I thought he was about to get wiped out by that car. He gapped those boys he was riding with real quick like. Good move.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.