Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fixies

I'm building up a fixie with an old French frame: bb shell is French thread. My regular LBS tells me they never even heard of French thread in the bb.

Options are:
1. rethread bb to english or Italian.
2. find french thread bb.

#1 problem is - may not be reliable (because thread conventions are all too similar to one another that much shredding ensues) and may be not enough metal in the shell to do it
#2 problem is finding an affordable bb & crank. I think Phil does a Fr thread bb, but I was hoping to spend more like $40 not $200 for a bb.

Anyone else encountered this? Options?

·
Registered
213 Posts
here ya go.....

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html#bottom

100 bucks is better than 200 i guess. at least it is rebuildable, and should last forever with care. you can also spend 50 on the cups and see if you can find a spindle at a shop that might be what you are looking for and cost a whole lot less. there's a sizing spec chart. good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep - think I'll be forgetting the re-tapping

olds_cool said:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html#bottom

100 bucks is better than 200 i guess. at least it is rebuildable, and should last forever with care. you can also spend 50 on the cups and see if you can find a spindle at a shop that might be what you are looking for and cost a whole lot less. there's a sizing spec chart. good luck.
good old SB - forgot he mentioned the Stronglight & TA. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should check my ebay keyword

Dave Hickey said:
Check Ebay or Sheldonbrown( harris cyclery). I see French threaded BB's all the time. I'm assuming you're are using a tapered crank and not splined
Sure as heck ain't turning much under "French (bb, bottom bracket) (bicyle, bike)"

But thanks anyhoo

·
Registered
234 Posts
those French, always makin trouble...

I went through a lot of this a while ago, but I doubt that my memories are 20-20. Having the bb threaded anew isn't such a bad option, as long as you have it done right. My Peugeots had Swiss threads, which were easily cut to English. I really don't remember the essential details, but I think that if you have actual French, you may need to cut them to Italian, as the French threading might not be complementary to English.

As suggested below, French bb are not that hard to find, and they are still quite adequate. Campy French threads are pretty common, considering how archaic they are.

Vive Le Threads

feefifofum said:
Hey fixies
I'm building up a fixie with an old French frame: bb shell is French thread. My regular LBS tells me they never even heard of French thread in the bb.

Options are:

#1 problem is - may not be reliable (because thread conventions are all too similar to one another that much shredding ensues) and may be not enough metal in the shell to do it
#2 problem is finding an affordable bb & crank. I think Phil does a Fr thread bb, but I was hoping to spend more like $40 not $200 for a bb.

·
Registered
499 Posts
The best thing you could do if you really want that frame is to buy a BB specialy made for bikes that have stripped theads. The BB slides in and the opposit cup threads on to the BB unit to hold it in. Ive raced slalom on one a few times. Most quality shops will have some. Most quality shops have also heard about french threads.

JS

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
http://www.bikeworks.org/

These guys had a fair amount of old French stuff when I was doing a similar project. I think I got some nice Sugino French cups for 5 or 10 bucks. You might want to give them a call. They are a great little shop with a good mission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting - thanks!

jplatzner said:
http://www.bikeworks.org/

These guys had a fair amount of old French stuff when I was doing a similar project. I think I got some nice Sugino French cups for 5 or 10 bucks. You might want to give them a call. They are a great little shop with a good mission.
'preciate the link - thanks

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another resource you can try is Bicycle Specialties in Toronto, their website is http://www.bikespecialties.com/ , look under parts. They have a lot of TA stuff.
If you send an email it usually takes a few days for a response, but they have the stuff you need. I picked up a TA crank puller from them last week, they're very hard to find anywhere else. CDN dollar is around $0.80 US these days.

·
lo and behold!
144 Posts
feefifofum said:
Hey fixies

Options are:

How's that working out? have you found anything?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts