Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fretting fingers doing?

Santa gave my 9 yr old a full size Yamaha acoustic for Christmas. And, like you I have been messing around with my son's guitar.

A friend put x-lite strings on it. Progress has been pretty good. We are using a DVD for lessons that started out on the e string and progresses up thru the thinner / lower strings, adding strings as we go. Our fingers are getting tougher, but no real calluses yet. Now we are up into the "big strings" and it's harder on the fingertips. It's hard to get 15-20 min in.

One thing I noticed is that when I practice chords, I have a really hard time not touching other strings (on certain chords). My hands are kinda big, but i never considered my fingers fat. I am long & skinny, so are my fingers. So I am kinda puzzled by this.

What kind of stuff is your 10 yr old playing?

JJ
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
bonkmiester said:
fretting fingers doing?

Santa gave my 9 yr old a full size Yamaha acoustic for Christmas. And, like you I have been messing around with my son's guitar.

A friend put x-lite strings on it. Progress has been pretty good. We are using a DVD for lessons that started out on the e string and progresses up thru the thinner / lower strings, adding strings as we go. Our fingers are getting tougher, but no real calluses yet. Now we are up into the "big strings" and it's harder on the fingertips. It's hard to get 15-20 min in.

One thing I noticed is that when I practice chords, I have a really hard time not touching other strings (on certain chords). My hands are kinda big, but i never considered my fingers fat. I am long & skinny, so are my fingers. So I am kinda puzzled by this.

What kind of stuff is your 10 yr old playing?

JJ
Unless you have extremely huge hands, the problem isn't your hands, it's your skill level. Eventually you'll be able to play all the chords and not hit other strings by accident.
 

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
........well I was thinking that, but some chords like the A where my fingers are all bunched up on one fret are trouble ............
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
bonkmiester said:
........well I was thinking that, but some chords like the A where my fingers are all bunched up on one fret are trouble ............
push "straight down" instead of from the side as your hands naturally want to do--my left hand's 1st and 2nd fingers have this weird flat callous on them now. They tips constantly feel kinda numb, but that is getting better. I mostly notice it now when I'm typing on the keyboard. If you think an A is hard try an F major--they don't call it the F chord for nothing. You really have to push down with the side of your first finger to hold down the 1st fret--half the time it sounds like a duck squawking, but every so often I hit it just right. Getting pretty good with the major chords now, but still working on speeding up scales and still being accurate. Playing A blues, chromatic, and E-phyrigian daily and can now play the chromatic pretty well, but the others are a bit slower in coming.

Here's the guitar I got
 

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I am workin on pushing straight down. My finger tips are sort of numb most of the time, except the pinky, it doesn't get used much......i've had to cut my nails really short too, so they won't hit the neck......that helped some.........but it really screwed up my nose pickin .......
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
bonkmiester said:
........well I was thinking that, but some chords like the A where my fingers are all bunched up on one fret are trouble ............
If you want to play a proper A chord, make sure your fingers are staggered like this so they all fit. I have tiny fingers and I still need to do that. Also, remember to keep your fingers arched like mine to ensure you are pushing straight down...



Or do it the lazy way. Lay your index finer across the D, G and B strings at the 2nd fret and just don't hit the high E string:



Also, remember to put your thumb, not your palm, on the back of the neck.



NOT:


Can you tell that I have nothing to do today?
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Unless you have extremely huge hands, the problem isn't your hands, it's your skill level. Eventually you'll be able to play all the chords and not hit other strings by accident.
I heard recently that the jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt had 2 damaged fingers on his fretting hand. If you've ever heard him play you'd realize it didn't slow him down. Where there's a will, there's a way.

The first European musician to stongly influence American jazz, guitarist DJANGO REINHARDT began his career in Belgium and France in the 1920s. In 1928 he was caught in a caravan fire that left his left hand partially paralyzed. Reinhardt developed a new playing technique to overcome the problem and by the end of World War II he was an international superstar.
 

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
..different fingering.....I'll try yours....maybe less crowded

I have been using 1-2-3
not 2-3-4
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
bonkmiester said:
..different fingering.....I'll try yours....maybe less crowded

I have been using 1-2-3
not 2-3-4
Well, the pinky is smaller than the index finger. Try it my way and see if it help.

Either way, keep your fingers staggered. Unless you have monkey hands, it'll fit (even if you use your index finger).
 

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah...look and you can see

..... how his pinky & ring finger are messed up....and the scarred skin on the back of his hand.....

he is really amazing..........
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
bonkmiester said:
..... how his pinky & ring finger are messed up....and the scarred skin on the back of his hand.....

he is really amazing..........
Having a cigarette in your mouth while you play makes you like 40 times better.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
bonkmiester said:
..different fingering.....I'll try yours....maybe less crowded

I have been using 1-2-3
not 2-3-4
I've heard to try and use 2-3-4 for the G as well--makes transitions to and from C a lot quicker.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
Having a cigarette in your mouth while you play makes you like 40 times better.
Good movie on Django starring Sean Penn called Sweet and Lowdown--I think Woody Allen directed it.
 

·
imbasilical moreon
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... i think i read that in Guitar For Dummies (which is afunny book)... or maybe somewhere else .....
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I've heard to try and use 2-3-4 for the G as well--makes transitions to and from C a lot quicker.
I never liked that fingering. I've always used this:




I think it sounds better in addition to being easier to play.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top