Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mid 90's Shimano 105 rear derailler and downtube shifters on my early 80's Bianchi. The shifters have an index or friction selector. Does this mean that the rear derailler can be used with index brake shifters? Obviously the freewheel will have to be replaced with a cassette but I am wondering if I can convert with minimum out of pocket expense.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friction to index

I have 7 cogs on the back but I think it is set up in a freehub assembly. I am not too tech savvy so I am not sure. It currently is in friction mode which is ok, but I would really like to take advantage of index shifting from the brake levers. I just think it would be a shame to spend all sorts of money for a new bike when I have a beautiful steel ride just begging to be upgraded.

· Premium Member
20,696 Posts
If you have 7 cogs(freewheel is fine), all you need are 7 or 8 speed STI shifters. Either will work as the spacing between cogs is almost the same between 7 and 8 speed cassettes. You just don't use the extra "click" if they are 8 speed

Ebay is a good sourse for used STI shifters. Just remember you'll need either 7 or 8 speed(non-Dura Ace) STI shifters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.