Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mid 90's Shimano 105 rear derailler and downtube shifters. The shifters have an index or friction selector. Does this mean that the rear derailler can be used with index brake shifters? Obviously the freewheel will have to be replaced with a cassette but I am wondering if I can convert with minimum out of pocket expense.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If the bike is really a mid 90's 105, it has to be 8 speed index. You can still buy 8 speed "brifters"
Ps. All 8 speed systems (except a few Sachs') use cassettes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a mid-80's Cannondale Criterium that came with a 6-speed downtube index-shift 105. I managed to get an 8-speed cassette in there and it works fine. I just transferred it all over to my new steel frame (Cannondale frame was too small for me).

·
Registered
777 Posts
rmacpga said:
I have a mid 90's Shimano 105 rear derailler and downtube shifters. The shifters have an index or friction selector. Does this mean that the rear derailler can be used with index brake shifters? Obviously the freewheel will have to be replaced with a cassette but I am wondering if I can convert with minimum out of pocket expense.
All Shimano rear derailleurs, except pre-9-speed Dura Ace, are compatible with all Shimano indexed shifters. Regardless of the number of speeds. You'll have to adjust the limit screws a bit to cover the extra cogs, unless your current drivetrain is 8 speed. Cassette (your exsisting hubs are almost certainly Hyperglide, and likely 130 mm), chain, shifters, adjust, ride. If your curent hubs are 7-speed hyperglide, and not a 7-speed cassette on an 8-speed body, all Shimano cassettes will fit.

If you actually have a freewheel hub, which is unlikely on a 90s 105 bike, you'll need a new rear wheel.

FWIW, current Shimano bar-end and downtube shifters still have a friction mode.

--Shannon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7 sp HG

It is actually 7sp hyperglide cassette. I am thinking of keeping it 7sp--13-23--or switching to 8sp (if it'll work). Will that also work with newer brake shifters(Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, etc.)? Do I have to have the shifter that match the speeds, ie, 8 speed with 8/7 or will 9/10 speed shifter work with 7/8 speed cassette?

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I upgraded to an 8-speed cassette, a buddy of mine that builds bikes sent me a new rear wheel to accommodate the new cassette and still managed to fit it in the frame without stretching. I also had to buy a new set of 8-speed downtube shifters, and a new chain obviously.

But that is all I did.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
azcycle said:
I have a mid-80's Cannondale Criterium that came with a 6-speed downtube index-shift 105. I managed to get an 8-speed cassette in there and it works fine. I just transferred it all over to my new steel frame (Cannondale frame was too small for me).
I gotta give ya credit for riding one of those things! Mine beat the heck outta me!

My first bike was an '87 Criterium frame with the blue 105 6-sp components. GREAT for crits and sprinting, but really, really wasn't so very good for anything longer than about 60min of riding at a time.

To the OP: there's things you can do IF you know whatcher doing and/or spend mas $$ on stuff. You're probably better off [email protected]#-canning that older bike, relegating it to a backup, donating it, whatever and getting a newer, used bike with brifters/etc. already on and ready to go.

My $.02

M

·
Registered
82 Posts
MShaw said:
I gotta give ya credit for riding one of those things! Mine beat the heck outta me!

My first bike was an '87 Criterium frame with the blue 105 6-sp components. GREAT for crits and sprinting, but really, really wasn't so very good for anything longer than about 60min of riding at a time.
M
LOL.... the Cannondale was my first road bike and has been my ONLY road bike for the last 4 years. Not to mention the frame was way too small for me. It has seen a lot of miles...including last year's El Tour de Tucson. Now that I'm on a steel frame, I can REALLY tell the difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Your derailleur doesn't care. As long as the shifters and cassette match, it'll index. As to whether or not an 8/9/10 speed cassette will fit your hub, the only way to know is to try it. If it doesn't fit, just replace the freehub body (around 30 bucks) and away you go.

Actually, the indexing rules are a bit fuzzy with 7 and 8 speed. I've currently got 8-speeed barcons indexing a 7 speed drivetrain on one bike, and 7 speed thumbshifters indexing an 8-speed on another. Both bikes have "9-speed" derailleurs. The 8 speed shifter has one extra click with the 7-speed rear, and the thumbshifters are set up so that the overtravel in the shifter shifts the derailleur onto the largest cog. IOW, click "1" is cog "2." Although Shimano (and some wrenches I've known) will tell you that these setups can't possibly work, both index perfectly, and I've never missed a shift that wasn't my fault.

You'll be fine.

--Shannon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.