Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so illinois will be doing another rebate (im taking friday off to hopefully score one).

im looking at LG, Samsung, and GE. thoughts and experiences?

·
Weed
1,037 Posts
weltyed said:
so illinois will be doing another rebate (im taking friday off to hopefully score one).

im looking at LG, Samsung, and GE. thoughts and experiences?
The Sears delivery men told me that they never have to take back any of the Samsung appliances that they deliver. Of course, this was AFTER I'd already bought another brand!

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
This is the only appliance that I haven't bought this year. Sorry, I have no advice.

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
LG is making some of the GE stuff now. Not sure which models. My appliance repair guy (whom I've gotten to know pretty well recently because of some issues) says that if you need a repair with parts, Whirlpool is the way to go because the parts are always available - not so with LG and Samsung.

When we first got married, we couldn't afford anything so we were able to pick up an inexpensive Sanyo for $400. The damn thing is still running after 25 years.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I have a friend who is an industrial appliance repair guy that swears that most of it is pretty good as long as you avoid anything made by GE.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Freezer on the bottom. Have had both, and bottom is way more convenient.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nevermind. i need a fridge shorter than 67.5 and nothing out there looks good. i told The Wife i could remove the cabinet above the fridge, but she wont bite.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have a GE that's about 3-4 years old, and it had a bad ckt board already (just out of warranty period....)

$300 later, the fridge works again...

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
weltyed said:
Advice = go early. This second round of rebates isn't being hyped as much as the one a few months ago, but we got in because we bought that morning. All the money was gone by the afternoon... Never did find out if it had to be in stock or just ordered that day, got different answers - so, find something in stock.

·
Registered
663 Posts
PDex said:
Whirlpool is the way to go because the parts are always available - not so with LG and Samsung.
This.

Samsung may not experience frequent failures, but I've seen people go through some serious challenges in having repairs completed.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
im taking the day off and headin over when they open. my debate is home depot (where they are doing a 15% match, so every energy star is 30% off, some 40%, and they are release 10-15 SKUs with 50%), or lowes. i like what they have at best buy, but they wont open the doors until 8. at HD and Lowes the doors are open at 6 but sales cant scan until 8.
going to lowes means less of a crowd and almost assured of the rebates. HD means crowds, a definite 15%, and a possible 30-40%.

im still thinking about cutting the cabinet out. 15-30% off a fridge is hard to pass up. especially when we know our fridge is 20 years old. talk about an energy vampire.

kykr13 said:
Advice = go early. This second round of rebates isn't being hyped as much as the one a few months ago, but we got in because we bought that morning. All the money was gone by the afternoon... Never did find out if it had to be in stock or just ordered that day, got different answers - so, find something in stock.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
fsdork said:
Samsung may not experience frequent failures, but I've seen people go through some serious challenges in having repairs completed.
I've heard many horror stories about Samsung customer service as well.

·
No hero that's understood
6,100 Posts
And my washer and dryer that broke down and needed to be replaced within 5 years were LG. I have no idea if their refrigerators have better luck, but we had a pretty lousy experience with ours. The other issue is that there is only 1 certified LG repairman within 25 miles of where I live.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.