Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whaddo I do???

Besides throw it off a cliff.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That literally just happened to me it turned out the thing wasn't defrosting and the fan was hitting ice that built up, maybe thats it?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
If you want to attempt to fix it yourself, try a site like this one. I used a couple of appliance repair sites to take apart and repair a fridge that had been diagnosed as terminal. After I disassembled the thing, I managed to fix it with two drops of my bike chain oil. The hard part was reassembling the thing. I ended up with a leftover screw. The fridge worked for another 5 years.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
'fridges

are really pretty simple contraptions.

Compressor, condenser, evaporator, and a fan or seven. whammo.

A lot of times ice builds up near one of the fans, and that'll howl like mad. Once in a while it's a compressor motor giving up the ghost.

I ran a PG department at a grocery for a few years, and a little bit of sewing machine oil and a lot of manual defrosting, whatever they said about "frost free," went a long way.

Oh, and if one of the coils leaks, it'll make a bunch of noise as it tries to compress nothing -- but that's a service call.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a refrigerator that was making sounds similar to what you're describing. Someone told me to get an appliance brush (tapered brushhead on a wire shaft). Picked one up at Home Depot and cleaned all the coils and copper tubing that was coated with dust. Within a day of cleaning the coils both under the front and in the back near the compressor all the noises subsided.

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
My fridge doesn't whine but it gives out so much heat in summer it's untrue. Why is this? I guess it's working harder to cool things but the heat is ludicrous. Can it be remedied?

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
when we had this problem the issue was a bad temp sensor for the defrost cycle. ice would fill up in the fan.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Set up a camera, throw a brick in it, put it on youtube!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
MikeBiker said:
If you want to attempt to fix it yourself, try a site like this one. I used a couple of appliance repair sites to take apart and repair a fridge that had been diagnosed as terminal. After I disassembled the thing, I managed to fix it with two drops of my bike chain oil. The hard part was reassembling the thing. I ended up with a leftover screw. The fridge worked for another 5 years.
They breed inside electrical appliances.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Take off all the crap that you have on top of it. Sometimes it's the crap that's making the noise. Give it a good shake. Be happy it's not your bike that's making the noise.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,419 Posts
I had to replace fan motors, in the freezer compartment, twice, on my old Fridge over a 20 year period. It would always start with a quite whine, and then would get louder and louder.

PS. It's a snap to replace. You just have to remove all the screws and inside panels of the freezer compartment. The first time I replaced it, it cost $25. The second time, it was close to $50..(but that was 20 years later)

·
More carbon fiber please!
791 Posts
Throw a couple Midol's in it, give it a slap or two, and tell it to shut up.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
if this fridge has another problem, i'm replacing it - well, sort of - it's going downstairs and being converted to a kegerator...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts