Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like the chicken got cooked and dropped outta the TdS. and i wanted to see him get at least one more TT run through in before headin to france.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun16news2

Rasmussen hits the wall
Michael Rasmussen (Rabobank) was on track to what looked like a stage win in yesterday's sixth stage of the Tour de Suisse, until he ran out of food on the last climb and was caught by first Simon Gerrans, then Koldo Gil and everyone else. Rasmussen, the king of the mountains in the 2005 Tour, had attacked the lead group not long into the Albulapass with 25 km to go, and quickly opened up a gap. Gerrans and Moos were the next best on the road, but dangled 20-30 seconds behind the Dane for several kilometres. That meant that the race jury prevented the Rabobank team car from following Rasmussen and giving him food.

"Scandalous," said team director Adri van Houwelingen to AD. "The jury must understand that the guy was in the break for 200 kilometres. But they only said that the difference between the riders was too small. They jury should still know that this is not healthy for a rider. The rules have to be observed, that I agree with, but you have to interpret them in the right way. That didn't happen. After the race I didn't see any of the jury, but I'll definitely say something to them tomorrow."

Rasmussen will not start today's seventh stage.

·
awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Honestly, who the hell cares? A rider with no personality that wins nothing, and doesn't work for his own team isn't in the race anymore. Oh well.

Oh god, I hope Michael Rogers doesn't drop out too......blah

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Rabobank must be the most disorganized team around. A little thought and planning and they might have known that a rider would need some fuel toward the end of a race, rather than waiting until they are on the last climb to try and get something up to him. His equipment problems in the TT last year all got blamed on his nitpicking but this incident seems to indicate they are not too great on preparation for anything.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
awesometown said:
Honestly, who the hell cares? A rider with no personality that wins nothing, and doesn't work for his own team isn't in the race anymore. Oh well.

Oh god, I hope Michael Rogers doesn't drop out too......blah
You speak the truth. I don't get the "chicken" fever that was going around last July.

·
awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
terzo rene said:
Rabobank must be the most disorganized team around. A little thought and planning and they might have known that a rider would need some fuel toward the end of a race, rather than waiting until they are on the last climb to try and get something up to him. His equipment problems in the TT last year all got blamed on his nitpicking but this incident seems to indicate they are not too great on preparation for anything.

Maybe its more of a mix. I read an a long article about him earlier in the year (in procycling?) and he said that he often garnered the ire of his mechanics because of his tweaker-tendencies. The rest of the team seems to do ok, but maybe because they'll ride whatever the team gives them.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't get me wrong, i like to see the guy bomb out like everyone else. its like watching the kid who had the solo in the xmas show, and had to have to have everything just right, then they fall off the stage because the forgot to tie their shoes.

i would like to see him TT better. i guess that means only fall off the bike once.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I seem to recall reading last year that Rasmussen doesn't climb with a water bottle so he can save weight. Not sure if that's true. I haven't paid much attention. But, maybe he started the mountain without any kind of food too for the same reason and then realized he needed food and it was too late.

·
awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
thebadger said:
I seem to recall reading last year that Rasmussen doesn't climb with a water bottle so he can save weight. Not sure if that's true. I haven't paid much attention. But, maybe he started the mountain without any kind of food too for the same reason and then realized he needed food and it was too late.

The same article i quoted above says "I throw away everything on the last climb, glasses, radio, everything. Its a psychological move to get myself motivated for the final push."

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
weltyed said:
looks like the chicken got cooked and dropped outta the TdS. and i wanted to see him get at least one more TT run through in before headin to france.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun16news2

Rasmussen hits the wall
Michael Rasmussen (Rabobank) was on track to what looked like a stage win in yesterday's sixth stage of the Tour de Suisse, until he ran out of food on the last climb and was caught by first Simon Gerrans, then Koldo Gil and everyone else. Rasmussen, the king of the mountains in the 2005 Tour, had attacked the lead group not long into the Albulapass with 25 km to go, and quickly opened up a gap. Gerrans and Moos were the next best on the road, but dangled 20-30 seconds behind the Dane for several kilometres. That meant that the race jury prevented the Rabobank team car from following Rasmussen and giving him food.

"Scandalous," said team director Adri van Houwelingen to AD. "The jury must understand that the guy was in the break for 200 kilometres. But they only said that the difference between the riders was too small. They jury should still know that this is not healthy for a rider. The rules have to be observed, that I agree with, but you have to interpret them in the right way. That didn't happen. After the race I didn't see any of the jury, but I'll definitely say something to them tomorrow."

Rasmussen will not start today's seventh stage.
Funny that in a sport where drug vampires can show up to your house and demand you pee in front of them, all in the name of "rider's health", equipment restrictions are in place for the sake of "rider safety" and "level playing field", helmets are required more for PR reasons, etc......all this goes on where officials can get their power-trip rocks off, yet they can't allow a temporary suspension to the rules to allow an already malnurished competitor to eat. Chances the "jury", certainly not a jury of his pears, had a cache of DingDongs crammed into their cakeholes as they pondered their options. Any official who was close enough to prevent the car form coming forward would be close enough to observe any possible advantage the vehicle would provide. I wonder what would have happened if this happened on Ventoux resulting in a hospital stay?
Maybe he didn't eat enough to start, but how many riders ONLY eat at the start of the stage?
I'm like Bob Roll in that I tend to take a rider-centric point of view.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
with all the talk of cars pulling up to the riders and such, isnt that the job of domestiques?

if the rider caves due to malnourishment, "that's racing," right? it shouldnt be the jury's job to make sure each rider has enough water/food. it's the rider's and team's responsibility to make sure there is fuel in the tank. you dont see the yellow flag come out when an F1 driver is low on fuel...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
Funny that in a sport where drug vampires can show up to your house and demand you pee in front of them, all in the name of "rider's health", equipment restrictions are in place for the sake of "rider safety" and "level playing field", helmets are required more for PR reasons, etc......all this goes on where officials can get their power-trip rocks off, yet they can't allow a temporary suspension to the rules to allow an already malnurished competitor to eat. Chances the "jury", certainly not a jury of his pears, had a cache of DingDongs crammed into their cakeholes as they pondered their options. Any official who was close enough to prevent the car form coming forward would be close enough to observe any possible advantage the vehicle would provide. I wonder what would have happened if this happened on Ventoux resulting in a hospital stay?
Maybe he didn't eat enough to start, but how many riders ONLY eat at the start of the stage?
I'm like Bob Roll in that I tend to take a rider-centric point of view.

The advantage = nurishment. Bonking = part of the game. If you don't carry enough water or food for yourself when you're up a climb, and the rules prevent others from driving it up. Too bad so sad. Your problem.

Btw... why call the folks trying to keep the sport clean vampires? Of course athletes have to pee in front of them - some have been known to use rather complicated bladders and valve systems to "pee" in front of the medical folks and submit fake samples.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
TitaniumFemur said:
The advantage = nurishment. Bonking = part of the game. If you don't carry enough water or food for yourself when you're up a climb, and the rules prevent others from driving it up. Too bad so sad. Your problem.

Btw... why call the folks trying to keep the sport clean vampires? Of course athletes have to pee in front of them - some have been known to use rather complicated bladders and valve systems to "pee" in front of the medical folks and submit fake samples.
There are also rules allowing team cars opportunities to provide their riders with food. In extreme circumstances such as Chicken's, they have leeway to take other factors, which I'd hope would include rider safety, into consideration.
"Vampire" is just the commonly accepted term, less cumbersome than World Antidoping Association Specimen Collection Lliason.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
There are also rules allowing team cars opportunities to provide their riders with food. In extreme circumstances such as Chicken's, they have leeway to take other factors, which I'd hope would include rider safety, into consideration.
"Vampire" is just the commonly accepted term, less cumbersome than World Antidoping Association Specimen Collection Lliason.

The chicken could have stopped. Safety? If he cared about his own safety - get off his bike and wait for the team car. But nOOOOO gota keep riding to win right? Then that's his choice. A rider has the ultimate choice - want to eat? Stop. If you're going to attack and ride up a mountain stage, knowing the rules prevent you from feeding and decide to be a weenie and not carry any water or food yourself, it isn't the race jury's job to make sure you're "safe." These guys are pros - not juniors. Got a nurishment problem? Slow down or stop. Pick up the food when the teamcar passes. It will eventually.

·
awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
TitaniumFemur said:
The chicken could have stopped. Safety? If he cared about his own safety - get off his bike and wait for the team car. But nOOOOO gota keep riding to win right? Then that's his choice. A rider has the ultimate choice - want to eat? Stop. If you're going to attack and ride up a mountain stage, knowing the rules prevent you from feeding and decide to be a weenie and not carry any water or food yourself, it isn't the race jury's job to make sure you're "safe." These guys are pros - not juniors. Got a nurishment problem? Slow down or stop. Pick up the food when the teamcar passes. It will eventually.

Its not the jury's job to keep you safe? Isn't that their reason for DQ'ing most of the favorites in the 2006 P-R because they went through that train crossing? In the interest of setting an example of safety for everyone?

There is a weird attitude towards pros about what the do and don't deserve in terms of treatment. We ***** at them when they call a stage too dangerous or too extreme to ride, we ***** when they demand access to their team car during a break (god forbid). As if because this is their job, they have certain rights taken away from them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
awesometown said:
Its not the jury's job to keep you safe? Isn't that their reason for DQ'ing most of the favorites in the 2006 P-R because they went through that train crossing? In the interest of setting an example of safety for everyone?

There is a weird attitude towards pros about what the do and don't deserve in terms of treatment. We ***** at them when they call a stage too dangerous or too extreme to ride, we ***** when they demand access to their team car during a break (god forbid). As if because this is their job, they have certain rights taken away from them.
The jury's job is to enforce the rules to ensure that the race is fair and also "safe." I exaggerated my response - however, the same holds true with the chicken.

Did you watch the race? This is a guy who dumps his food, water, etc - attacks the riders with him in the break and then expects to get an unfair advantage/special treatment with food supplied from the teamcar on the section of the race climb? (Knowing he won't be allowed to).

If he wants to be fed - slow down or quit. You realize the difference? If the race jury is going to enforce emergency medical attention - then he's out of the race. Besides - the "safety" argument is just is DS making an argument - a pro rider bonking and riding himself to death? Haven't heard that happen in the last couple years and off the top of my head... those that did used stimulants?

·
imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
.... why those wiley little WAASCALS ..... :D:D:D:D:D
b0nk

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
dagger said:
They shoulda let the team feed its rider.
The team should have dropped food from a helicoptor for him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.