Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that they are only friendlies and carry no weight, but some big name teams lost yesterday just months before the WC. Germany got demonlished by Italy, Argentina lost, and France did too. While maybe the French and German losses were not that surprising (neither one seems to be as strong as in the past), Argentina lossing surprised me, given the run that they had in the SA qualifying.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
It's safe to say that I have no idea what you're talking about. Friendlies? Is that like, when you get touchy feely?

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paint said:
It's safe to say that I have no idea what you're talking about. Friendlies? Is that like, when you get touchy feely?
Nah, its soccer, at least in this context.

Now if you mentioned that to certain members of this board, no names mentioned, it might mean something else, but your on your own there.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
After re-reading it I kinda figured WC = World Cup. But it just seems so silly, almost as silly as wearing lycra and liking it.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Woohoo! Another soccer fan!

lousylegs said:
I know that they are only friendlies and carry no weight, but some big name teams lost yesterday just months before the WC. Germany got demonlished by Italy, Argentina lost, and France did too. While maybe the French and German losses were not that surprising (neither one seems to be as strong as in the past), Argentina lossing surprised me, given the run that they had in the SA qualifying.
I'm watching the tape of the US v Poland game again tonight.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Gawd do I miss it!

FSC is the reason I had to get rid of cable. I'd turn it on, planning to catch the end of whatever game was on, and then peel myself away four...sometimes six hours later. :eek:
It was stealing my life!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
If you life soccer.....

lousylegs said:
you'll like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRHk8ol0vTw

Len

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lets_ride said:
I'm watching the tape of the US v Poland game again tonight.
well, yeah, I was really happy when I got cable that it came with the Fox Soccer Channel, even if they mainly focus on the English game (NTTAWWT), but my wife hates it. She complains about me watching football, at least it is the real "football"

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
My son's loved this....

Kram59 said:
Thanks Len. My 11 y/o will love this. When growing up, I knew squat about soccer. I was introduced in college (Messiah College, home to both the men's and women's NCAA div 3 (I think) champs this year.) Great game, and I'll be following the WC.
I was amazed with the bouncing it off the Goalpost back to him.

Len
'

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Thanks Len. My 11 y/o will love this. When growing up, I knew squat about soccer. I was introduced in college (Messiah College, home to both the men's and women's NCAA div 3 (I think) champs this year.) Great game, and I'll be following the WC.

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
lousylegs said:
England was lucky to get a home win against nonqualifying Uruguay. In all honesty England outplayed Uruguay through most of the match, and the Uruguay goal was a real golazo, but the winning goal came very late. A loss to Uruguay at Anfield would have been devastating, but even a draw wouldn't have looked good for already under fire SGE. It's never going to happen, but SGE should make Gerrard or Lampard the England captain. As it stands, I think England will disappoint this summer as it frequently does.

The US win against Poland was especially satisfying in light of the fact it was played in Germany. We beat Poland when we last played but that was in Chicago. Despite the number of Poles in the crowd at Soldier Field, it still qualified as a home match for the US. ;-)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Best thing about soccer is that you can go to any bar, and without knowing sweet FA about it talk sport with those "in the know" without them realizing your a noob. It's by far the biggest sport here.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, it is still not clear to me why england has not canned SGE, I mean, get rid of him now and hire one of his assistances or something, I too think that England is in for a major disappointment this year.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rogger said:
Best thing about soccer is that you can go to any bar, and without knowing sweet FA about it talk sport with those "in the know" without them realizing your a noob. It's by far the biggest sport here.
really, I thought that bear baiting was still the most popular sport in the old world. :D

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
lousylegs said:
really, I thought that bear baiting was still the most popular sport in the old world. :D
Nah, soccer especially when Germany is involved check this out:

:rolleyes:

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
lousylegs said:
yeah, it is still not clear to me why england has not canned SGE, I mean, get rid of him now and hire one of his assistances or something, I too think that England is in for a major disappointment this year.
It's amazing to me that SGE hasn't been canned already: screwing FA secretaries, ratting out his own players about their club situations, and most importantly losing "no lose" matches. With the quality players he has, England should be a hot favorite to challenge Brazil for the title. As it stands, SGE will probably switch things up just before Germany and move Rio Ferdinand up front and Michael Owen to the back line.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rogger said:
Nah, soccer especially when Germany is involved check this out:

:rolleyes:
Yes, but isn't hard the the Dutch players to run in those wooden shoes? really got to feel for the Dutch womens players too, wearing those silly dresses, though the mens team doesn't have it much better. :D

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
lousylegs said:
Yes, but isn't hard the the Dutch players to run in those wooden shoes? really got to feel for the Dutch womens players too, wearing those silly dresses, though the mens team doesn't have it much better. :D
Har-de-fakking-har, cowboy. Everyone knows we're far too stoned and far too busy euthanising our elderly to be mucking about with traditional crap like that.
Anyways, can you say "vrouwenelftal?" :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts