Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have experience with these?

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
Yes, some. I have some straight-pull pros from 2002(?). Lots of miles with little trouble. I did crack a pawl in the rear last year and FRM sent me a new one for free.

What model are you looking at?

·
Defender of Freedom...
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I belive it's the feather front and team rear...

RocketDog said:
Yes, some. I have some straight-pull pros from 2002(?). Lots of miles with little trouble. I did crack a pawl in the rear last year and FRM sent me a new one for free.

What model are you looking at?
Standard carbon/Al hubs vs. straight pull. The one's from la bicicletta or fairwheels bikes. They look like a pretty good value (at least compaired to tunes, or dt 240s) and are certifed for radial spoking. Any issues with bearings? What caused your pawl to break? Have a better source? Thanks

·
soy un perdedor
839 Posts
The design of the rear hub seems to have changed (front looks the same) since I bought mine, so I wouldn't worry about the pawl. I noticed while rebuilding them that one of the pawls cracked down the middle of the spring groove. I have no idea why it happened. I wouldn't have known had I not torn them apart. It must have been my 135 lb frame generating too much torque. ;)

My hubs now have around 15000 mi on them and I recently had them re-laced to new rims. I replaced the bearings with some standard SKS double sealed bearings last year ($20), though I'm not sure they needed it.

Mine are 90g front and 260g rear. That was pretty light 4 years ago. I'm happy with the overall value. I thought Stan's (notubes.com) was the US distributor for FRM, but I could be wrong. Check out the FRM's webpage for lots of info and part diagrams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts