Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or its the perfect pre-ride meal for me.
Today was my first century this year and i was very hesitant about trying because of the lack of miles i have put in recently due to a back injury.
The ride was for charity so i thought what the hell. Whats my discomfort for a few hours compared to the constant suffering of those who suffer from the ailments that the charity raises funds for.

2 bannanas.
1 peach.
2 raw eggs.
1 small yoghurt.
and a splash of semi skimmed to make it smoothie like.

Then also 3 slices of wholemeal bread with Marmite afterwards.

Wow this kept me fuelled with nothing else other than HI5 sports drink on the way round, and to be honest, as i type this, i feel great but for a little sore on the tops of the legs.

Ive tried this meal a few times now and always feel good after the work is done. I cant recommend this enough and it goes down really easy.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Are you in the UK, or a transplant? Marmite, and yogurt with an H!

My last century "fuel" made other people laugh at me. I woke up late, ate a bowl of cereal and headed out the door. Ate some bagels on the route ... somehow felt fine, anyhow.

Glad yours went well!

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
raw eggs? who do you think you are, rocky? hope the salmonella wasn't too bad :wink:

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
botto said:
raw eggs? who do you think you are, rocky? hope the salmonella wasn't too bad :wink:
Bit of a myth that salmonella is in high enough dosses to harm anybody but the very young or very old. And is now practically unheard of in eggs in the UK thanks to Edwina Currie. And a great source of protien.

· Registered
1,301 Posts
Piles said:
Bit of a myth that salmonella is in high enough dosses to harm anybody but the very young or very old. And is now practically unheard of in eggs in the UK thanks to Edwina Currie. And a great source of protien.
Salmonella in uncooked eggs is well-reported in many developed countries. It afffects ALL ages- not just the extremes of age.
No advantage to uncooked eggs (you can hard-boil for no grease/fat). I care not to roll the dice with my gut.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oldteen said:
Salmonella in uncooked eggs is well-reported in many developed countries. It afffects ALL ages- not just the extremes of age.
No advantage to uncooked eggs (you can hard-boil for no grease/fat). I care not to roll the dice with my gut.
Luckily in the UK chickens are vaccinated against Salmonella and there are no traces of it in eggs, Raw or otherwise, so no rolling of dice required.

· Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
It is not the raw eggs consumed immediately that is the problem. Go to Paris, eat Steak Tartare everyday.

It is undercooked eggs or raw in preparation (mayonnaise) left out on a picnic table in the sun for 3 hours.

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
Piles said:
Luckily in the UK chickens are vaccinated against Salmonella and there are no traces of it in eggs, Raw or otherwise, so no rolling of dice required.
Don't eat raw eggs daily or your liable to get a biotin deficiency.....just sayin'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.